Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted peak lapel

Wild Root

Gone Home
Big Joe said:
Why would you pass on the pants without pleats?

Big Joe

Hey Big Joe, my self, I love a good full drape with a generous pleat! Looks sharp. But, also enjoy a good pair of plane fronts now and then.

I was watching 42nd Street from 1933 last night and saw a lot of single breasted peaked lapel suits with pleats! This was 1933 where we mostly think of plane front would be then norm. Well, I saw more pleated pants then plane fronts in that movie. Not to mention some of the coolest fedoras too!

=WR=

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think Root misunderstood.

Big Joe said:
Why would you pass on the pants without pleats?

Big Joe

Because on me, a flat front looks bad. I prefer the look of pleats, and I think the suit I tried on would look much better with them.
Wrecked the whole thing for me.

When are pleated pants appropriate? In anything but blue jeans.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I think I did too. I read it just after I rolled out of bed. My comprehension skills are week first thing out of bed.:p

I like pleats! 30's -50's pleats that is, they don't seem to make them right these days! Too low waisted I guess.:rolleyes:

So, modern pants + pleats = bad drape.

Vintage pants + pleats = superior drape!

=WR=

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
At this point I just want a decent pair of pants.

Is there a tailor on this list that can make a pair? I'm in L.A. and willing to drive.

One of the big problems is trying to explain to a modern tailor, exactly what you want; which can be difficult even with a sample on hand. You would have a heck of an easier time, working with someone like Lauren Henline etc.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Here is the one I jusy got from Marc:

MK_retrosuit.jpg

I couldn't be more happy with it. It is a rare opportunity to find a vintage suit in my size. To find one that just happened to be cut like it was made for AND looks good.....it is like lightning striking.

Harry Lime

Suspended
Two birds, one stone.

MK said:
Here is the one I jusy got from Marc:

MK_retrosuit.jpg

I couldn't be more happy with it. It is a rare opportunity to find a vintage suit in my size. To find one that just happened to be cut like it was made for AND looks good.....it is like lightning striking.

That suit may be vintage but the cut of the jacket and pants are completely "in" right now. Looks like a very modern suit, very with it. Fantastic score. For what it's worth I think it shows many here that a very classic hat can be a part of a more modern, less-custumey wardrobe and still look great. In that suit and hat MK (in my HO) looks years younger than he does in pleated pants pulled high. Very flattering.

Harry Lime

Wild Root

Gone Home
Harry Lime said:
That suit may be vintage but the cut of the jacket and pants are completely "in" right now. Looks like a very modern suit, very with it. Fantastic score. For what it's worth I think it shows many here that a very classic hat can be a part of a more modern, less-custumey wardrobe and still look great. In that suit and hat MK (in my HO) looks years younger than he does in pleated pants pulled high. Very flattering.

Harry Lime

Mr. Lime, I remember Marc posting this suit now that I see it up close. It's not a 1930's suit, hence the low-rider pants. It's a 1967 suit that was made when the 30's revival started. Yep, it's a vintage suit but, not of a 30's or 40's vintage.

For me, a vintage suit looks "costumey" when it's worn incorrectly for instance like being worn like a modern suit. I can go into details but, I won?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t unless I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m asked.

MK, I'm happy you like your suit! However, I'd love to see it up close. Some times photos don't do these suits the justice they deserve.

=WR=

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=79184#post79184

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wild Root said:
Mr. Lime, I remember Marc posting this suit now that I see it up close. It's not a 1930's suit, hence the low-rider pants.

I hate to contradict you, Root, but ... the pants on this particular suit are definitely not low-rider. They are, in fact, rather high-cut. Look at the photos again: the long fly shows you what I mean.

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

Here's one i talked about a little while ago. I bought it from eBay for $3 due to a certain roll to the lapel in the terribly listed pictures. It turns out to be a peak lapel (maybe 20s-early 30s?) SB suit in abysmal condition. I can't even bear to put the d*mned thing on my back, it's so disgusting. Anyway, after a good long soak in a freezer it was ready to be photographed. So, here it is. Make yer judgements. I'm going to use it for a pattern piece. It's good through the shoulders and chest but too big in the waist and hips - an easy alteration to the pattern ...

MothEaten1.jpg

MothEaten2.jpg

MothEaten3.jpg

I've already cannibalised the cool buttons from all three pieces. All the linings are also in good condition, so i'll be taking those too. My next project - after sewing boutonniere securing threads to the back of all my lapels - is to take this beast apart and make a pattern from it ... This may form a post of its own in the distant future. Any interest?

bk

I'm really in the dark. The tailor's tag is ripped out. It appears to have been hand written when it was present ... There is no other dating info that i can find. The guy smoked cigars - there was a cigar band in the pocket.

The inner pocket has initials stitched onto the top of it. Like you see in many old suits

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:
I hate to contradict you, Root, but ... the pants on this particular suit are definitely not low-rider. They are, in fact, rather high-cut. Look at the photos again: the long fly shows you what I mean.

Ah yes, they're not that low in the cut. I recall having one 60's suit in the collection at one time, it did have pants that weren't really low in cut.

I'm open minded, I have been wrong before Marc, not a problem. ;)

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes