Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing question concerning B3 jackets

Wade

New in Town
Hi Folks, I'll try to be as brief as possible with this one :)
I'm thinking of getting a used B3 (probably a Schott, or Avirex) as those are closer to my budget. I normally take a 40 -42
Pit to Pit 23 "
Shoulders 20"
Sleeve 25'
length of back 26"
I followed the advice on the forum for how to properly measure a leather jacket. So, here is my question. If you have a B3 , do you find that they fit a little bit smaller than the numbers would suggest because there is an inch of sheerling on the inside. Eg so if the pit to pit was measured at 23" on the B3 , it would fit more like 22". I'm wondering if most folks who own one have gone up a size than they would normally wear. Thanks in advance for any feedback. Cheers,

Wade

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Yes. The shearling will take up almost a size if it’s thick. The last B3 copy I had was a Cirrus which fitted like a 42 and measured 25” pit to pit on the outside.

For example Aero uses a size up shell when they make a shearling lining in a jacket instead of the normal lining.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
My jackets are usually the same size as the measurements you gave, and i have a a Schott B3.

My jacket is a size 48, it fit great in the shoulders, sleeves and back, but being a Schott it was HUGE in the stomach.
I had it tailored and they removed a couple inches at the waist on each side. Now it fits me perfectly.

Not really helping i know...

Wade

New in Town
Thanks guys, I'm getting that the measuring and estimation of a B3 fit , is a bit more of an art than a science! :) i.e lots of trial and error... I know its a hard question but your answers are helpful. It sounds like if I took the measurements that I normally use on a leather jacket. It would probably be too tight, because of the thickness of the sheerling.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
With me it's a case of buy big chest to fit fat belly. I'm no natural 44 chest but thats the size I need due to too much sausage and mash ;)
As for sizing, the report makers generally make the jacket the size to fit the body, so a 44 usually fits a 44 even though a thing such as a B3 would appear larger, I would think a B6 would not be so large even though marked 44 due to the less bulky sheepskin.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
The whole trick is Layering up with one of these so I would Argue getting a size or two up from your actual size is not a bad idea. I fit a size 40 like a glove if we are talking about a G-1 from the 60s-70s, but the Avirex B-3 Repro Fits me optimal of all others in size 46, while the willis and geiger B-3 I have is also 46 and much longer I do find wearing two scarves to do the trick and it then fits about right. They seem *big* to me but then when I am wearing them It is Just they are Bulky Jackets, also this: If I am out of shape later and a few sizes bigger the 46 is still good to go.

I am snug in a 44 B-3 though, Like would get away with a flannel shirt under it maybe thats it, but in an original I am pushing it for reaching and bending down in the back region.

Here is a question, what do you wear with your B-3 in the pants department...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran