Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing question

dep126

Familiar Face
Hello all. I've been scouring eBay for a couple weeks now looking for a vintage cafe racer jacket and had a quick question about sizing. If my actual chest size is 42" what would be a good jacket chest size to look for? I'm sure it depends a lot on personal preference but if I want a simmer fit would a 42" chest size work? I'm thinking that would be way too tight but am looking for suggestions. It seems my other jackets have at least 3-4 extra inches in the chest. Thanks for all the help.

Peacoat

Bartender
I bought a Schott Cafe Racer a few years back. Following the recomendation of the website, I ordered one size up for a 44. I found it to be too tight in the chest and shoulders, and just too small overall. Sent it back for a 46, and that worked well for me. All of the manufacturers are a bit different in their sizing.

dep126

Familiar Face
Peacoat, thanks for the response. So what worked out for you in terms of actual chest size vs chest size in the jacket? Is there an extra 2 or 4 inches there? Is it a slim or looser fit for you. Thanks again.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I think it depends a lot on the cut of the jacket and also type of jacket.

I'm a size 40R and I have some jackets which are 21 inches pit to pit and some 22 inches. The problem with vintage on Ebay is that it's hard to know what you're getting. There's a vintage motorcycle store here in Seattle. They have a very large selection, so maybe give them a call- http://www.insurrectionvintage.com/

Peacoat

Bartender
Enough room to get a fist between the jacket and my chest. Enough for a sweater. It is still a trim fit. I am a 42 and went with a 46 for a fit that would give me enough room to breathe.

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
It really depends on the fit you're looking for and what you plan on wearing underneath.. Do you want to wear just a t-shirt or something heavier? Cafe racers are more form fitting than other types of leather jackets and vintage jacket sizes typically run smaller that modern cuts. Plus as Peacoat mentioned, sizes vary quite a bit between manufacturers.

I personally like a little looser fit that I can always make tighter with an extra layer of clothing or an extra couple pieces of pie!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen