Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slightly Stretching a hat.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
After searching and reading until my eyeballs are almost out of their sockets,,,,lol let's see if I have this correct...

I have just received my hat stretcher from Manhattan and if I understand this correctly, I am to apply conditioner to the leather sweatband, place foil between hat and band, spray lightly the outside of the hat and place on stretcher , open stretcher and let the hat dry a day or so.......

Did I miss anything or have anything wrong ????

Any help would be appreciated, as someone once said, be gentle this is my first time.....;)

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
I think you have all the details in place, actually all I do is wet the sweatband and then let it set for a day or 2 before I take the strecther out.

Torpedo

One Too Many
You are in the right track.

If the hat is vintage (used), I use some leather soap on the sweatband before applying the conditioner. Also, instead of wetting the hat, I give it a pass over steam, but these are just different options.

Do the stretching by small amounts. Put the tool in the hat, and stretch it a little. An hour or so later try the hat on to see if you need any more or not. And do so until you get the correct size. If you are overeager you can stretch it too much :mad: or even break the sweatband :eek: (this may happen all the same if the sweatband is old and in bad state of conservation).

Regards!

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Thanks guys..... I like the hint of do a little , wait, try it on, etc etc.....

Don't have a steamer yet, still looking for a good price on the one I want.

And I did just get my stretcher from Manhattan Wardrobe Supply....

Guess I am ready to do the dirty deed.... Thanks again....

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
An aluminum foil cone atop a pot of boiling water works quite well -

Here's what I have done. I bought one of those round aluminum 'trays' used to store food. You can get em at any supermarket, or you can go into a diner that uses em. Im sure theyll give you a couple. You know, the kind that you put the top on, and then bend down the edges of the bowl to keep it on. Anyway, I got one just a little larger than a small pot I have, and stuck a pencil through it, making a small hole in the middle. Makes a nice steam hole, and I can use it over and over again.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Rittmeister said:
Does anyone have any particular or different recommendations on stretching a bowler? Thanks.
Since a bowler is very stiff, I would assume this can't be done without at least removing the stiffener from the felt, which could ruin the hat. I'm also guessing that the brim on a bowler might also cause troube with this.

Maybe someone who knows what they are on about could elaborate...

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Ordinary Guy said:
I don't have a kettle :eusa_doh:

I need a trip the nearest antique shop for a kettle......

Really, any kind of saucepan or whatever kind of pot will do. All the kettle and all this other jazz does is make a directional steam jet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot