Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slips!

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
Vintage slips

I need some help in find some vintage slips eaither full body or just the skirt part. [huh] or even inpsired ones too.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I love slips! I wear vintage slips with just about everything. They help your dresses lay right, keep them from riding up on your stockings, and they help protect your valuable vintage dresses from perspiration, which can contribute to fabric deterioration and make it so you have to wash those items more frequently. They are also fabulous and sexy for lounging around the house or sleeping in.

They are very easy to come by at thrift stores, for very good prices (I've paid as low as $1 for vintage 50s slips). I have a variety with pretty lace on them, and also some plain ones, since lace can look bumpy under some fabrics.

Nylon takes dye very well, so I have several that I have dyed with RIT dye - with fantastic results.

Drappa

One Too Many
I actually wear modern ones, as I find the fitted busts on most vintage don't fit me properly. My favourite two are from Noa Noa and I got them cheaply on Ebay. The other ones I got years ago (believe it or not) at H&M and they are sleek and stretchy and super comfy as well.

Maneki 13

New in Town
Hi!

First, I'd like to say that I've been to this site for just over a year, but finally signed up! I'm still learning so much from you ladies--I'm still fairly new to vintage.

I find that just about every time I wear a skirt or dress, I have to wear a slip with it. Otherwise, I almost feel naked! I always get comments from one of my co-workers who calls me an "old lady" because I wear a slip even though she's older than I am!

What I'm really looking for is a full length slip in red, but it almost seems impossible to find anything modern made. I've actually found a few vintage on etsy that I like, but have a question for any ladies who care to answer--how much is too much to pay? It seems to me that onwards of $20 is too much, although you can pay more than that for something modern that's not on sale.

Thanks so much, and sorry for the long winded post--I just got carried away I guess!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Maneki 13 said:
What I'm really looking for is a full length slip in red, but it almost seems impossible to find anything modern made. I've actually found a few vintage on etsy that I like, but have a question for any ladies who care to answer--how much is too much to pay? It seems to me that onwards of $20 is too much, although you can pay more than that for something modern that's not on sale.

It really depends on the slip to be honest. I wouldn't pay much more than $15 or so, but I'm cheap. Slips with special details like crystal pleating or in certain rare colors will go for quite a bit more. I have an amazing salmon colored teddy from the 50s that I paid about $50 for. It's still too much, and I've never worn it, but I can't stand the idea of getting rid of it because it's really extraordinary.

I have a red one that I got from someone here for free, and I've seen them on Ebay for reasonable prices, but you just have to keep looking. My other suggestion would be to get a plain white one (colored vintage ones are ALWAYS more expensive) and dye it with RIT dye.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Brabarella

New in Town
The RIT dye works great on plain white slips, especially all-nylon ones. I’ve dyed dozens, some tie-dyed (shown here). They make great nightgowns. They’re also nice and cool to wear around the house on a hot day. I can usually find plain white at Sally’s (Salvation Army) or local church thrift stores for about a buck. The slip will wear out before the dye fades.

tiedye.jpg

Patricia
http://www.brabarella.blogspot.com

Roxy

Familiar Face
Maneki 13 said:

I was checking out some sites, saw the red slip on this page and thought of your post. http://americanvintageclassics.com/wlounge.html

Maneki 13

New in Town
Ladies, thanks for the advice. Kitty, I totally know what you mean--I love a good bargin too but then again, who doesn't?

I never thought about dying but now I'm thinking I'm going to have a go at it. One question though--would they bleed very much in the wash? I haven't dyed anything in years, and don't remember just how much things do bleed after dying. I also found a few things on etsy that I'm trying hard not to get because I can't justify spending the $35, even though I'm really loving it.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Maneki 13 said:
I never thought about dying but now I'm thinking I'm going to have a go at it. One question though--would they bleed very much in the wash?

I used regular RIT dye on my salmon one and it hasn't bled at all. I'd try handwashing it first to see if it bleeds.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I too wear vintage slips, mostly 40s and 50s (am wearing one now). And I have a few longer ones from the 30s. I feel quite naked without a slip under a dress, or skirt and blouse. *lol* I have an assortment of colours, white, nude, pink, red, black, etc.

One of my favourites is a 50s slip I have that is white on top, black on bottom. All of my slips I too purchased at thrift shops like Value Village or the Salvation Army. They hardly ever have vintage dresses, but always have slips and nightgowns.
X
BD

My slips all look similar to these:
bg1_005.jpg

il_430xN.119359447.jpg

889-0066.jpg

Roxy

Familiar Face
Black Dahlia said:
I'm also very fond of half slips, with or without crinoline/petticoat. I have about five, and am currently looking for more basic/ day to day ones.
X
BD

lingerie5-10.JPG

dorotheas6.jpg

What lovely slips!

BoPeep

Practically Family
Gorgeous, Black Dahlia! I have picked up several of my own that are dripping with lace. Can't beat them! The vintage slips were so much more feminine than what I see today - when you can find them. I've a couple that are too long to wear with my dresses so those are for bedtime. This is one of my favorites!

IMG_2235.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
I love slips and name brands have a bearing on cost also. I have many that I bought that turned out too small for me. :rage:
Like Cinderella trying on shoes but sometimes you get your head stuck thinking you can make it work. Once I got scared as I couldn't get out of the thing I wanted it so bad. lol lol

I think of slips and always think of Elizabeth Taylor and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/a...abeth-taylor-pic-virgin-image-2-432887293.jpg

PrairieSunrise

Familiar Face
I don't wear full slips often, but I've grown up wearing half slips every day. I usually get mine new from JCPenny's. I can't stand wearing a skirt without a slip! They simply do not move nicely in my opinion. Even if the skirt has a slippy lining, I still wear a slip as well.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
BoPeep said:
Gorgeous, Black Dahlia! I have picked up several of my own that are dripping with lace. Can't beat them! The vintage slips were so much more feminine than what I see today - when you can find them. I've a couple that are too long to wear with my dresses so those are for bedtime. This is one of my favorites!

IMG_2235.jpg

BoPeep - I have almost the identical one in the same colour! ;0 And a similar one in hot pink. I agree, you can't beat the beauty of a vintage slip!

X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot