Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slips!

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Yes, slips always make clothes sit better. Fact.

My Mum always wears one with her modern clothes even if a dress or skirt has a lining and I always wear them with my vintage stuff.

Mine are a mixture of really vintage 1930s right up to 1980s that my Mum's bought for me. I even have a black 50s one that was my Nana's. Personally, I get quite excited by slips. Perhaps I'm just sad! lol.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I second that! Slips always make skirts and dresses sit better. I have just gotten used to wearing slips, so even if modern skirts/dresses have linings I wear a half slip. I don't like the material modern slips are made out of (a few of the ones I have are static monsters so somewhat defeat the purpose since the fabric clings to itself) but I find 50s ones quite frequently at estate sales and thrift shops.

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
I have 4 cotton slips, which are nice under things that have silky texture.

I have some Rayon Satin coming in the mail, that I have dog eared for a full slip and 2 half slips. I'm hoping it will breathe better than nylon.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Slips do not get the same attention as corset/girdles and of course stocking on fashion history sites, reading they are just as important to a lady.
:eusa_doh:
I gave up on slips as they all seamed to big if I wear a size 18 dress then I think I should have a size 18 slip also but they just seamed to baggy to me.
I know they should be loose but not tents!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Actually slightly off topic, but on the slip theme anyway, today a rather lovely looking lady of a certain age rushed into my shop, as she had been in the cafe next door, gone to the loo and had got her zipper stuck in her slip, anyway the girls next door showed her to me and i helped her with the zip and we actually had a chat about this, as i admired her dress which i thought was lovely, as was her georgeously coiffed red hair and she said actually the dress was only a cheapy everyday one, but she never went out without a slip on as it always made her skirts and dresses sit better, and that even the most uninspiring fabric and garment would look 100% better with a slip under it. Strange but true, i have duly taken note and will be slipping on a slip more often!

Louise Anne

Suspended
Miss sofia said:
Actually slightly off topic, but on the slip theme anyway, today a rather lovely looking lady of a certain age rushed into my shop, as she had been in the cafe next door, gone to the loo and had got her zipper stuck in her slip, anyway the girls next door showed her to me and i helped her with the zip and we actually had a chat about this, as i admired her dress which i thought was lovely, as was her georgeously coiffed red hair and she said actually the dress was only a cheapy everyday one, but she never went out without a slip on as it always made her skirts and dresses sit better, and that even the most uninspiring fabric and garment would look 100% better with a slip under it. Strange but true, i have duly taken note and will be slipping on a slip more often!

Am I right in thinking that slips are sort of out of fashion as every day wear these days for most ladies ( out side this forum) I cannot remember my sisters weaing slips in the 70's or even seeing them on the washing line. ( note not that I really go around looking at others people washing)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Well my mum sometimes wears a half slip, as i have seen those on her washing line lol, but none of my friends do, but then none of them are into vintage particularly. I have a couple of dresses that benefit from a slip, but mostly i just wear them in bed.

ColeV48

Familiar Face
I made a quick one off of a 1930s pattern back in college when I was first gifted a vintage gown too sheer to wear alone. I never thought I'd wear it with anything else, but I've almost worn it through!

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I can't imagine not wearing a slip, either under a day dress or evening dress. For me it's part comfort, and also it does make the dress sit better. The slip creates a smoother foundation/silhouette or something.

Miss sofia, so funny about that woman! It's happened to me...getting my slip stuck in a dress. Unfortunately, had to cut one of my favourite slips because of that. *lol*

X
BD

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
Puzzicato said:
So cotton slips under silky materials, silky slips under cotton?

Well, that is my personal preference. I find that my cotton slips and my cotton dresses tend to cling to one another, more friction I guess.

PrairieSunrise

Familiar Face
Paul said:
Am I right in thinking that slips are sort of out of fashion as every day wear these days for most ladies ( out side this forum) I cannot remember my sisters weaing slips in the 70's or even seeing them on the washing line. ( note not that I really go around looking at others people washing)

I think slips went out along with frequent skirt/dress wearing by the ladies. Now that skirts and dresses are coming back in, it seems the foundation garments for them are taking a bit longer to return.

My Mom and her sisters were never allowed to wear pants growing up in the 50's-60's so they were used to slips as everyday life and passed that on to me and my sisters, who also did not wear pants.

I imagine that if one typically wears pants and only wears skirts/dresses for special occasions, they likely don't realize how important a slip is for comfort and looks.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
MirandaFern said:
Well, that is my personal preference. I find that my cotton slips and my cotton dresses tend to cling to one another, more friction I guess.

It makes sense. For my bellydancing costumes we are taught to layer cotton over silky so they slip past each other instead of catching.

So that means I need 2 slips... or I suppose 4, 2 light, 2 dark.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Paul said:

My mum had the most divine cafe au lait coloured silky slip in the 80s. I thought it was the height of glamour.

But as for being out of fashion, I guess if women think that it is OK to wear jeans so low they are showing an inch of thong underwear, they aren't really going to be too bothered by their skirts being see-through or clinging.

Drappa

One Too Many
I have always wanted to know how to date a slip? Is it the material, details, lace? I see them in charity shops but can never ever tell what decade they are from.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
For me I wear slips from the 40s, 50s and 60s and have a few slips from the 30s. For me, telling the date is a best guess based on material, style and the label.

30s slips are longer, and are often so lovely one could wear them as evening dresses!

X
BD

Maneki 13

New in Town
Paul said:
Slips do not get the same attention as corset/girdles and of course stocking on fashion history sites, reading they are just as important to a lady.
:eusa_doh:
I gave up on slips as they all seamed to big if I wear a size 18 dress then I think I should have a size 18 slip also but they just seamed to baggy to me.
I know they should be loose but not tents!

I totally have to agree with you on them not getting attention like they should. I mean even if you do wear shapewear and the clothes lie better, if you're wearing the wrong thing and step into the wrong lighting, it's like you're showing off the goods.

My mom always did and still does wear slips with skirts or dresses. We also always wore one when we were dressed up as kids. I just really feel naked without one on. As far as the sizing goes, with modern materials, they might be more forgiving allowing you to size down, eliminating the tent feeling. Also, if you're handy with needle and thread, you can probably take it in if you have one in cotton. Nylon or other materials--I'm not sure how that'd work, but then again, my talent extends to being able to sew a button but really nothing more. One of the talented ladies of the forum could probably give some advice on how to do that if it's possible. Everything I own right now is modern. After hearing so many of the ladies finding them super cheap at thrift shops, I keep meaning to head on down to the goodwill, but just haven't found the time to do so.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Drappa said:
I have always wanted to know how to date a slip? Is it the material, details, lace? I see them in charity shops but can never ever tell what decade they are from.

I have the same problem Drappa. How does one tell the difference between 50's nylon and 70's nylon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot