Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smokers and non smokers, what do you do, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I've never smoked anything. I don't see why so many people smoke so often, but that's their choice.

That said, I hate people smoking in situations where others have to gag on it. Also, I hate seeing people litter with their filters after they're done.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
I'm a social smoker, so I can see why people hate it. But at this point, I love hanging out smoking outside of parties because it's quieter and you can actually have conversation. I rarely smoke during the week. I've never once felt a craving.

Lately though, I've picked up a box of nasal snuff, and I don't understand why more people don't get hooked on this stuff.

And since the thread doesn't specify what you smoke, I also smoke Salvia divornium for some Lovecraftian experiances. It's legal, but that's because most people are completely turned off after their first experience; because it actively causes dysphoria, as opposed to euphoria. I'm one of the two people I know who doesn't depise the stuff.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
"Lately though, I've picked up a box of nasal snuff, and I don't understand why more people don't get hooked on this stuff."

Do users of snuff actually snort powdered tobacco up their nostrils!?
Forgive my ignorance of this matter, :rolleyes: but even as a former smoker, I don't know exactly how snuff is used.

carter

I'll Lock Up
IDIOT !

I smoked my last cigarette on New Years Eve 1984.

Or so I thought.

I started cadging smokes from co-workers in 2004, mostly due to stress. Now I smoke about 1/2 a pack of Marlboro Ultra Lights a day.

I need a swift kick in the rear.

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
Maj.Nick Danger said:
"Lately though, I've picked up a box of nasal snuff, and I don't understand why more people don't get hooked on this stuff."

Do users of snuff actually snort powdered tobacco up their nostrils!?
Forgive my ignorance of this matter, :rolleyes: but even as a former smoker, I don't know exactly how snuff is used.

There is snuff you dip (place between cheek and gum, or between lip and gum), and there is snuff you snort... Inspector Queen in the Ellery Queen mystery's is constantly doing it. You can find old snuff boxes around, and the U.S. senate used to have filled snuffboxes well after anyone ever used the stuff.

I personally used to smoke cigars for years, then unfiltered luckies habitually, generally less than half a pack/day, but my max while working on my thesis was two a day.

Now, I've essentially quit, but will smoke in certain circs... bars or parties occasionally.

My problem is that I *like* smoking - I like the grey art nouveau swirls from the one end, and the blue-grey curls from the other. And - as bad as they are for you - breathing fire is pretty cool looking.

I don't like the lingering smell of some (not all - there are differences)cigarettes or the phlegmy cough when overindulging, however. And the keening grip of a nic fit is no fun whatsoever, and tremendously detrimental to a classy demeanor. Not that I ever had such.

zaika

One Too Many
i LOVE smoking. i absolutely love it despite the health risks. the smell and action is comforting. either good ol' camels or cloves. mmmm....
i smoked for a few years, but i guess i was never actually addicted. one day i got sick of interrupting my day and activities for a smoke, so i put it down without a thought or a problem.
these days i have a pack on hand for whenever i really want one...which is, like, either in social situations when others are smoking, or when i have coffee and REALLY want a smoke with it. that is...not even once a month.
this current pack has lasted me since September. [huh]

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
I smoke American Spirits. A lot. Ever since I've lved in California, I've smoked outside, even at home. And I'm a lot more conscious about trying to keep it away from people. When I lived in Oklahoma, it was another story. So many people smoke there, nobody thinks much of it.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Hi everyone!! Yes I smoke cigarettes, but I really want to quit!!! Now that it is completely forbidden to smoke in bars and restaurants here, I reduced a lot!!! Now I smoke 3 or 4 cigarettes a day!!! I'm quite proud!!! lol lol lol!!

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I don't smoke and never have.

My wife's grandmother smokes and after leaving her home, I can't wear my coat for 3 or 4 days, it smells so bad *yucky* ! I don't know why, maybe it's the type of cigarettes she uses [huh] . It's not like not like that all most homes I've been where the occupants smoke.

She has emphysema, so she has to do her oxygen treatments in between smoking. Or is it the other way around? shakeshead :eusa_doh: Unfortunately I'm not joking.

I personally don't have anything against someone smoking, even if they are sitting next to me in a restaurant. Just as long as the smoke isn't blowing directly in my face. Some times I like the smell. I suppose that depends on the brand.

My dad stopped smoking around the time I went into high school, but prior to him doing so, I used to hide his cigs. He used to get so made.lol

$ally

One Too Many
I experimented with smoking satins and djarms, but it's not for me. I love the smell of a good pipe, although I avoid being around any kind of second hand. My Father died from complications of emphysema, but I'd never seen him smoke a cigarette during my lifetime.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Don't get me started.

Oops...too late!

I don't smoke cigarettes but I do enjoy a good cigar. I don't mind people who smoke either one, but don't appreciate having careless smokers allow their smoke in my face.

Having said all that, in Tennessee, we just passed a head-up-the-rear law that prohibits smoking in public buildings (I don't have a problem there) and virtually all businesses/restaurants that aren't designated "over age 21 only". No allowance is made for the owner's personal feelings on the matter and I think that's wrong. After all, they opened the business, they built up and run the business, they pay for licenses and the taxes on the profits of the business and yet they have no say in what they allow smokers to do in their business without completely changing their business model first. What happened to personal choice?

If a business owner wants to allow smoking in his/her establishment, why can't prospective customers and employees simply choose to frequent or not to frequent said establishment without government interference? If enough people feel strongly one way or the other, the business will either survive or die as a consequence.

As it stands now, the same owners and employees who complained about smokers are now whining that their business and tips are off...but they can't adjust to compensate because of the law itself! Serves 'em right for encouraging/allowing the law to pass in the first place!

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Canadave said:
My mother smoked for about 20 years, then quit in 1975. She died last April of smoking-related lung cancer at age 67.

David

I'm sorry for your loss, David. Still, its a matter of (her) personal choice. In Tennessee, people die everyday of accidental and intentional gunshot wounds but no one wants to discuss any form of gun control here. You can even get a permit to carry a weapon in most of the same establishments that won't permit a cigarette! Go figure! :eusa_doh:

Mustang

One of the Regulars
luvthatlulu said:
I'm sorry for your loss, David. Still, its a matter of (her) personal choice. In Tennessee, people die everyday of accidental and intentional gunshot wounds but no one wants to discuss any form of gun control here. You can even get a permit to carry a weapon in most of the same establishments that won't permit a cigarette! Go figure! :eusa_doh:

What?! I would also say, no one wants to discuss gun control here either! Comparing cigarettes to guns is absolutely ridiculous! shakeshead

I will bow out of this conversation as I refuse to say any more about either subject...here anyway.:rolleyes:

Canadave

One Too Many
luvthatlulu said:
I'm sorry for your loss, David. Still, its a matter of (her) personal choice...

My post was not in response to your stance. I was just meant to be a contribution to the original theme of this thread.

David

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Mustang said:
What?! I would also say, no one wants to discuss gun control here either! Comparing cigarettes to guns is absolutely ridiculous! shakeshead

I will bow out of this conversation as I refuse to say any more about either subject...here anyway.:rolleyes:

Here we go word-parsing again (apparently a favorite past-time in the FL)! I wasn't comparing guns to cigarettes...I was comparing how people will overreact to the health risks of second-hand smoke while totally ignoring another and potentially-deadlier risk in the very same venue! Brilliant!

Personally, I'm prepared to risk the chance of cancer from too much smoking or exposure to same. I can control that by my own choices. I've been exposed to my share of unwanted gunplay as well--and, given a choice of which risk to take, I'll still take my chances on the former.

It's about risk and addictions.

Pretty much all use of tobacco comes with risk and in the current climate some of it is over blown. When it comes to cigarettes, for many they are very addictive, as you have heard compared to quitting heroin, cigarettes is more difficult to quit. Not all have that addiction level, some may smoke socially, but for others once on the path, they can never get off them.

What I find increadible is the number of people that still smoke cigarettes regularly as life style and or habit. In the 1960's before some of you were even born, the Goverment made announcements as to the dangers of smoking and over time those dangers became more clear. Yet even as the advertising was pulled and the information came up time and again there were so many that disregard this info and start smoking cigarettes, just as some people start heroin, or crack cocaine inspite of all the warnings.

I never smoked a cigarette in my life, I had no need to. Both of my parents smoked Camel (no filter) in the house in the car at all times except when sleeping, then they probably dreamed of smoking. Smoking was ubiquitous, every where and it seemed that all adults did it, at work and at home, about the only place they did not smoke was while in church. Enough trips in the car at winter time with my parents when the air was a blue-grey color and I was trying to breathe thru the sleeve of my coat to filter the air had me dead set against smoking.

One thing I can add is of all of my friends from school that had parents that smoked, it had effected their parents health in later years and for most was part of the cause of their death, just as my dad died of complications along with the emphasema. For me as time went on it was clear that that was a definate tye-in.

The doctors saw a rise in cancer, particulary lung cancer from the time of WWI when it was first common to supply the troops with free cigarettes. Referencing cigarettes as cancer sticks and coffin nails comes in about that time or shortly after WWI and continues today, and as direct a reference as it is, it seems to rarely be a consideration for those that start.

As Americans we do have a Puritanical streak that comes out of an over whelming urge to help people inspite of themselves, but the pendulem has swung too far. Out here in the Repulik of Kalifornia, you can not smoke out doors in a park in many places and you cannot smoke in a vehicle if there are minors in the car! (What are they going to do with teenage smokers that drive and smoke?) In some towns you can't even smoke in your own back yard or if you live in an apartment. I heard they wanted to make smokers wear bubble suits next but it may be years off.

As to damage from tobacco cigars and pipes are not without risk but it is much lower than cigarettes which really gets involve with the blood oxygen exchange chemistry thing. Even chewing tobacco has bad risks, I have a friend that is going to lose most of his front teeth from it's use and other problems are common with his friends that are using it too. Again the quitting factor seems very difficult for them.

It is a matter of choice but a matter of respect for others too. We need balance not Fascism. In the end though, I'd simply suggest to stear clear of smoking cigarettes if you have an addictive personalityand are thinking of trying it.

With all of that I will smoke a cigar now and again when the weather is nice and in the backyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy