Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snuff users in the Lounge?

Loweboy461

New in Town
I just returned from the local mom and pop smoke shop and was wondering what you Loungers think about Snuff. Not moist snuff like chew but the snuff you "snuff" up your nose.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I use it regularly. Hopefully can keep going with it, now that the government has clamped down on shipping it. My current favorite is Gawith Otterhound, although Fleur De Lis is not far behind.

I've been considering buying a dedicated spice grinder to make my own snuff out of some of my preferred pipe tobaccos.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
I have taken snuff for many years and started when I fist did English Civil War re-enactment at age 17, when I also started smoking a pipe. It gets round all smoking bans; although I have had the landlord of a pub wanting to see it once, presumably because he thought it might be bump.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I'm very partial to a pinch of snuff, McChrystals Original being my favourite.

I find it an envigourating way to enjoy tobacco. Charles Darwin in his autobiography said that he liked to take snuff during the day, to keep him alert while working and then smoke a pipe in the evening to relax.

I think that kind of sums up the difference between the two experiences.

Last edited:

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
To quote Citizen Camembert (Kenneth Williams) in Carry On Don't Lose Your Head: "The taking of snuff is a vice of the degenerate aristocracy - and I love it!";)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I tried a bit a few months ago for the first time since I was a boy sneaking it from my Grandmother's snuff box. I was at a dinner party and one of the guests, a beautiful model, was using some and offered it around. I sneezed it all out, just as I did when I was a kid. She had a wonderful antique sterling Tiffany box.

Dan'l

Practically Family
^^^
A beautiful model with snuff just sounds sexy to me, not sure why but it does...

I smoke a pipe but could never handle snuff. Grandma enjoyed it until she passed but I would sneeze it out immediately after sniffing some in and then continue to sneeze for minutes afterward.

Renault

One Too Many
I have taken snuff for many years and started when I fist did English Civil War re-enactment at age 17, when I also started smoking a pipe. It gets round all smoking bans; although I have had the landlord of a pub wanting to see it once, presumably because he thought it might be bump.

LOL! Same thing happened to several of us reenactors during the filming of that Mel Gibson historic atrocity "The Patriot" in South Carolina! Drove the Asst. Directors batty!

Renault

Edward

Bartender
They serve it in The Cellar Door, a cabaret cocktail bar here in London. Tried it once when in for a friend's show. The venue has no outside area of its own, so it's a way of keeping the smokers in, I suppose. It didn't do anything for me, to be honest, either sniffed in the traditional manner, or taken chopped out into a line and via a straw, as they suggest (some kind of misguided notion of "cool").

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner