Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, I got me this Fez see.....

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A fez has been on my want list for years. I did pull the trigger on one I liked from fez-o-rama but they oversold that one and I was bumped. Haven't seen one I liked or could afford at the same time since. Would love to know a good reliable source online.
Johnny

A fez has been on my want list for years. I did pull the trigger on one I liked from fez-o-rama but they oversold that one and I was bumped. Haven't seen one I liked or could afford at the same time since. Would love to know a good reliable source online.
Johnny
As far as I know there isn't one. What fez-o-rama sells is some sort of hybrid between a smoking cap and a fez. Original fezzes are not embroidered of course. That seems to be an American invention by the shriners. The original makers in Marocco, Tunesia and Egypt still make them (although less and less in their original form), but none of them have an internet-shop. Vintage is the way to go I guess, which means ebay.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I can't think of a fez without Major Amos B. Hoople popping into my mind.

Screenshot_5.jpg

Johnny

What size are you, Johnny?

Thanks for reviving this thread, Steur. I have fez envy now. I'll be going to Sarajevo in 2 weeks. I wonder if I'll see any for sale there?
Where does one wear a fez these days, anyway? I mean, besides to a "Doctor Who" event.

To a Lil' Ed & The Blues Imperials show, of course.

0600033747c396210dabbff37f6add33.jpeg

His fans call themselves "Fez-heads" and it's common to see them in the crowd.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A couple more...
View attachment 75384 View attachment 75385 View attachment 75386 View attachment 75387 View attachment 75388

@steur, notice the similarities to your Moroccan Fez(es)...
What was surprising to me, was the apparent lack of Fez makers on line compared to when I looked about 8-10 years ago. Please don't tell me they're falling out of fashion!!
Wow! That is quite the collection! Love them! Fascinating to see how different they all are. I have seen some movies about how a tarbush is made. The felt is first knitted and then felted, then ironed and shaped. So the base is different from a felt hat like a fedora. I believe the tarbush stays unstructured and has a low crown (well it is a low crown period). and for a real fez the palm leaf woven cone is added. I still like those maroon coloured ones the best. Thanks for posting these.

It's been a while since something was posted in this thread, so let me add a little something. Some may remember I posted a Hückel fedora not too long ago in the German and Austrian Hutmachers thread and I wasn't very pleased with it. This one.

huckel wool_8.jpg

Well, I've peen pondering what to do with this thing and I decided I needed another fez and why not make it a black one? So I took the hat apart and lo and behold it wasn't a real Hückel after all. Underneath the liner there was a cloth crown patch hiding with the name "tramp" on it.

huckel fez_9.JPG

Interesting because I have seen that brand before on similar (lower quality) woolfelt hats. Still, not enough redeeming quality to be spared the conversion.
Fezzes are made of wool so this was an ideal candidate for a black fez. As said: I took out the liner and sweatband, sprayed the hat with hot water and put it in a plastic bag for a while to let the water penetrate the felt. Then steamed it with lot of steam and semi-wet blocked it over my fez-block. Ironed the top right away a let it dry for a day. Steamed and ironed it again the next day and cut the brim off (needed a few minor corrections later, because it appears it's not that easy to make a perfectly straight cut). Sewed in the sweatband. Then I used a strip of felt from the brim to create the holder for the tassel. These holders are round on original fezzes, but I found a folded flat one much easier to work with an pleasing to the eye as well. Sewed that to the top of the fez. I used a colour tassel that was not too bright, just to give it a more vintage feel. Then I added a cardboard cut-out to keep the form of the crown in shape and added the liner. And there we have it: a Hückel fez!
Because it was a tramp all along I figured it wouldn't mind its new career.

huckel fez_1.jpg
huckel fez_2.jpg
huckel fez_3.jpg
huckel fez_5.jpg
huckel fez_4.jpg
huckel fez_6.jpg
huckel fez_7.jpg

KarlCrow

One Too Many
It's been a while since something was posted in this thread, so let me add a little something. Some may remember I posted a Hückel fedora not too long ago in the German and Austrian Hutmachers thread and I wasn't very pleased with it. This one.

View attachment 87881

Well, I've peen pondering what to do with this thing and I decided I needed another fez and why not make it a black one? So I took the hat apart and lo and behold it wasn't a real Hückel after all. Underneath the liner there was a cloth crown patch hiding with the name "tramp" on it.

View attachment 87882

Interesting because I have seen that brand before on similar (lower quality) woolfelt hats. Still, not enough redeeming quality to be spared the conversion.
Fezzes are made of wool so this was an ideal candidate for a black fez. As said: I took out the liner and sweatband, sprayed the hat with hot water and put it in a plastic bag for a while to let the water penetrate the felt. Then steamed it with lot of steam and semi-wet blocked it over my fez-block. Ironed the top right away a let it dry for a day. Steamed and ironed it again the next day and cut the brim off (needed a few minor corrections later, because it appears it's not that easy to make a perfectly straight cut). Sewed in the sweatband. Then I used a strip of felt from the brim to create the holder for the tassel. These holders are round on original fezzes, but I found a folded flat one much easier to work with an pleasing to the eye as well. Sewed that to the top of the fez. I used a colour tassel that was not too bright, just to give it a more vintage feel. Then I added a cardboard cut-out to keep the form of the crown in shape and added the liner. And there we have it: a Hückel fez!

View attachment 87883 View attachment 87884 View attachment 87885 View attachment 87886 View attachment 87887 View attachment 87888 View attachment 87889
A fake huckel fez. Cool project

View attachment 87881

View attachment 87882

View attachment 87883 View attachment 87884 View attachment 87885 View attachment 87886 View attachment 87887 View attachment 87888 View attachment 87889

How COOL is this!?!! Possibly one of the finest felt fezzes ever found, steur! VERY nice!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ