Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I wore a bow tie to a job interview

Edward

Bartender
As memory serves, the modern four in hand was originally developed as something tended to be more formal than the bow, but of course it has evolved differently in the eyes of many people. I do agree, though, that the relative level of formality of a bow can be dictated by its pattern and/or colour. Wearing a black one with a lounge suit is (almost) as big a faux pas as a coloured one with a dj. That said, in a pinch I'd happily wear one to dinner with a black lounge suit (as opposed to, eh, Black Lounge) when travelling.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
The general consensus in the mens fashion world is that the bow tie fell out of fashion because men started to forget how to tie one. As less and less men wore them, it became a semi-forgotten art. Ties are viewed by the general public as eccentric because they are not wide spread. They are viewed by connoisseurs as showing taste, sophistication and intelligence. They are certainly not more or less formal than a long necktie. And once you get the hang of it, they are just as easy as tying a necktie. Remember the first time as a kid you tied a tie and the mess you probably made. With practice you can master it in a very short time.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
[Bow] Ties are viewed by the general public as eccentric because they are not wide spread.
Peter Morici, the economist, shouldn't have any such problem. lol
art.economist.cnn.jpg

James Pressley

New in Town
To classify "dressiness" simply by what is widespread is to equate what is right by what most people do. Most people have no style or class when it comes to clothes. So I will stand by what I said.

The Bow Tie is first and foremost much older and much more classic than any long tie. Now whether or not you have the guts to stand out as advanced and confident is what the discussion should be about. You wouldn't wear a long tie with martini's and cigars on it to a job interview and you shouldn't wear a bow tie with them either but to believe because some bows are whimsical that all are... Is just not logical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo