Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soda Pop.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Green River!

We used to have an old fashioned Drug Store, the Fairmount Pharmacy, not far from the house I grew up in. They had a lunch counter with about 10 stools, if that many. The druggist was at the back, with the window opening. Shelves of stuff on all sides. One of my classmates dad was the druggist.

Anyway, they had the "green river" from the soda fountain. It was basically lime syrup and the soda, mixed right there the old fashioned way. My favorite was a tuna sandwich, chips, and the soda. AAH. Back in those days, that was a treat. The sandwich and the soda was about $2. Of course, a full standard size Hershey bar was .05 cents.

Sadly, the drug store is long gone. It is now a Real Estate office.

Gee, you look so young to remember such things. :p
Actually we have a Johnson's Pharmacy around here that was the same way. A corner store with something extra. There was also the old downtown with shops like that on either side of the street. The Sweet Shop and soda fountain.
Damned redevelopment after a fire turned it into a shadow of its former self. Wheee! :cry:

Regards to all,

J

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Has anybody ever gotten to drink Ne-Hi cola? I am interested to know what that stuff tasted like ever since I first heard of it reading To Kill a Mockingbird.

By the way, Root, have you ever drank any of your vintage sodas?

When I was a kid, I was at my grandfathers house when I discovered a can of coke. Now my grandfather was apparently one of those people who after living through the depression couldn't stand to throw away any food items and thus his pantry was sort of a museum of questionable canned goods and food products. Anyway, I found this can of coke which was one of those really, really early types of cans which I had never seen before. I am guessing it was about 25 years old. Well, I was thirsty so I poured it into a glass but right before I could drink it my mother intercepted the beverage and told me not to eat or drink anything in that house without clearing it by her first.

Vladimir Berkov said:
Anyway, I found this can of coke which was one of those really, really early types of cans which I had never seen before. I am guessing it was about 25 years old. Well, I was thirsty so I poured it into a glass but right before I could drink it my mother intercepted the beverage and told me not to eat or drink anything in that house without clearing it by her first.

Well, we can all go over Root's place and sample the goods. Then we will know for sure. :p ;)
NO! Put down that shotgun Root! I was just kidding. Ahhhhhhhhhh! :p

Regards to all,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
But, I also like a brand called Cane Cola (Not sure I spelled that right)

I didn't figure I'd have anything to contribute to this thread, as I can't drink sodas, they do unspeakable things to me. I generally prefer the harder stuff.

But...Today at the store, we were walking down the soda aisle to the cash registers, and my wife calls out, "Cane Cola?" I said, "Huh? Did you say Cane Cola?"

Turns out, they had several varieties of soda from Boylan's, in glass bottles, including one called Cane Cola. Same thing, Root?

Despite the consequences, I will drink and enjoy it. I'll report on the flavor later.

Brad

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cane Cola is good. I enjoy it! Yes, should be the same one I was talking about.

No, I haven't tried any of my vintage sodas! They're worth money when they haven't been opend. Plus, I'd get sick bad I'm sure if I ever did try a 60 year old soda.

Root.

jake431

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Peach Nehi is great--crisp, sweet--like biting into a fresh peach. I can find out here, but only at Pop The Soda Shop. If you ever find one in your travels, snap it up!

When I work at the soda fountain all sorts of people ask to have their picture taken with me (often by vacationers who want to show their grandparents when they get home). It's almost like the place is a museum, and I am one of the displays!

Anyway, back to soda. Anyone ever tried a Green River soda?

Green River is my secret love! I am a diet pop head - lost about 20 lbs when I stopped drinking regular pop. But, whenever I am at a restaurant that serves Green River from a fountain, I get it. Yum yum.

-Jake

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
jake431 said:
As a Chicagoan, I feel compelled to tell you all that it is not soda. Not soda pop. Just pop. It is pop.

-Jake

You are all wrong. As a Texan, we all know that it is all just "coke." As in:

"Hey buddy, want a coke?"

"Sure, what kinds do you have, got any Dr. Pepper?"

jake431

Practically Family
Vladimir Berkov said:
You are all wrong. As a Texan, we all know that it is all just "coke." As in:

"Hey buddy, want a coke?"

"Sure, what kinds do you have, got any Dr. Pepper?"

I thought that was an Atlanta thing... Learn something new every day.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Found a 1931 ad for Green River Soda--the artist was Rolf Armstrong:
greenriver417.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Great ad Jitterbug! The art work is swell.

Ok, as the father of this thread, I feel it is my sacred duty to say that soda pop is called different things all over the US. Over here in California we all call it Soda. But, since working at a restaurant over the last year I find most people will just say “Coke� when they want a cola drink. I ask them if Pepsi is ok with them. Some change their drink to root beer since they feel a loalty to Coke (The real thing) and some just say Coke because it has been ingrained into their head as a universal word for soft drinks.

When I was in Canada, every one there called soda, “Pop�. Every where it was called Pop. I called it Pop too! My grandfather calls it Pop still. I believe it comes from the golden era when people just got lazy and used the word Pop for short. It stuck and is still used in many parts of the country.

Soda Pop is its given name and people will continue to call it Soda, Soda Pop, Pop, or Coke. I have even heard people call it “Soders�.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic