Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

//SOLD// 1930s/1940s DB 2-piece Size 36-37 //SOLD//

I picked up this 1930s or 1940s beauty while thrifting in Sydney, Australia last year. Nowhere in the world is too far for me to go vintage shopping! I thought it might fit me, but sadly too big. The suit is a flannel-y wool in a deep shade of blue. There are alternating single red, and double white pinstripes (see pics). Massive lapels - with a boutonniere hole on the left only (my other Aussie DB has this too) - and 4x2 button fastening. Interestingly for a suit in the British tradition this has a partial lining. Most Aussie originals i've seen have the standard British full lining. But this is more suited to a warm climate, obviously. The trousers have a great waistband with 2 fastening buttons and side cinch straps, a feature quite common in Aussie suits of the era. The trousers have a little nick on the front near the fly. Un-noticeable. And a very very small mothhole at the rear crease midway down the leg. Also the main body lining of the jacket has come a little unattached at the right armhole area. Nothing a quick few stitches won't repair.

Take it off my hands for £65. Shipping extra. It should come in under 2kg so shipping not crazy to the US. pm with interest.

Jacket
Chest: 20.5" across the front
Arm: 26"
Length: 30"
Shoulder: 18.5"

Trousers
Waist: 31" max. Adjustable with side straps
Inseam: 28" Extra 4" if you lose the cuff. I reckon i could get 31" with a french cuff.
Cuffs: 11.25" across, a whopping 22.5" circumference

Aussie1.jpg

Aussie2.jpg

Aussie3.jpg

The waist closure:

Aussie4.jpg

Lovely fabric lining the arms:

Aussie5.jpg

And a closeup of the fabric of the suit:

Aussie6.jpg

bk

anon` said:
That's a good price but... no selvage at all in the waist?

That's right. The rear seam is right out to the edge of the selvage

avedwards said:
Just to clarify, if there are 4" of cuff that can be let out on the trousers I would be able to make the length just a shade short of 32"?

Yes, if you were happy to lose the cuffs, the trousers could be made to approach 32" inseam.

bk

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Mmm, yes. It was that detail that originally attracted me to the suit. There's also something strangely satisfying about wearing trousers cinched at the waist, whether by side belts or a back belt.

bk

I imagine there's something strangely satisfying about being able to wear trews cinched at the waist.... it's been a while, though, so I don't really recall..... lol

mike

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Mmm, yes. It was that detail that originally attracted me to the suit. There's also something strangely satisfying about wearing trousers cinched at the waist, whether by side belts or a back belt.

bk

I agree! Although I find that I have to almost overtighten them so that they don't slowly sag throughout the day. Thinking about it, that might be because the ones I have, sit on the natural hip, which aligns with the stomach and throughout the day that that enlarges and contracts depending on the sheer quantities of pancakes I can stuff into my face on a given day.

But seriously yes, I absolutely dig the the cinches too, but those you see somewhat more often.

Good to see you on here again, even if it's just to sell stuff. Sorry I missed you when you were in NYC last. Let me know next time, it'd be my pleasure to get you some drinks! Hope all's well!

mike said:

Excellent! A man of good taste!

mike said:
Good to see you on here again, even if it's just to sell stuff. Sorry I missed you when you were in NYC last. Let me know next time, it'd be my pleasure to get you some drinks! Hope all's well!

I'll keep people informed of my plans. We hope to visit new york later in the year for some concerts by a friend. House purchase reduces potential travel moneys, but maybe i'll get another trip through work.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS