Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sombrero ?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
She ain't no mexican national but I do have this pic of Deelovely in a sombrero.:)

P2140051.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
sometimes my honey mows in one since we are in texas when it is about 108 degrees just to annoy the neighbors I think. He is a man of many hats. lol
It is just plain straw but big. Bought it in Puerto Rico as they sell them everywhere there.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J.T.Marcus said:
I have a receeding chin, big ears, and heavy eyebrows. According to that link, can anyone figure out what hat is right for me, and what hat is wrong? :D
LMAO......

Bud some how this don't surprise me, I can definitely see you wearing a Sombrero but.....

Dee you look great in yours, by far. :eusa_clap

....by the way Dee, did I see you in an Avatar with long Black/Brown hair? :rolleyes:

J.B.

Practically Family
KObalto said:
which are starting to blanket our inner cities, I predict sombreros will become the next big urban fashion. You read it here first.

heh. This "fashion" should fit in nicely in L.A.!

Just last June, FBI agents took the Goofy Hat Bandit into custody. The subject is believed to have robbed 39 L.A. banks during the previous 18 months -- always wearing an eclectic lid or fedora of one kind or another?! Ironically, when arrested, he wasn't wearing a hat! :eusa_doh:

I always just figured it was one of you guys on the Lounge... :rolleyes:

This after serving nine years in the pokey for sticking up 30 L.A. banks in the early 90's while known as the Pershing Square Bandit.

This site offers five sombreros: Sugar Loaf, Comanchero, Bandito, Buffalo Bill, and Colonel McCoy (they look like Beaver Brand hats) of the old style and several straw variations, as well! :)

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
KObalto said:
which are starting to blanket our inner cities, I predict sombreros will become the next big urban fashion. You read it here first.

I'm thinking they just passed a law here in Florida, that you can't enter a bank with a hoodie on or a hat....Those scofflaws are giving us a bad name!:eek: :eek: :D

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Stetson Sombrero

stetsonsombrero.jpg

Lady's model, with two crown dents. During the late 19th Century, Stetson made fur felt sombreros and shipped them to Mexico to be hand-decorated. I've always loved the look of this particular sombrero.

Note the 4-cord hat band. The spanish name for a cord or rope is gal??n. This hat has 4 gal??ns, and fancier hats could display many more. This is the origin of the mis-named "10-gallon hat."

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Don't I wish? It's in a museum--I don't remember which. I found the photo on the web a few years ago. I have an old friend here in Austin, a Mexican artist raised in Mexico City, who remembers that as late as the 1960's, Mexican Revolution-era sombreros where a dime a dozen. No more. Last year, I stupidly passed on a small collection of beautiful palm fiber sombreros with extra-wide brims, the real deal. I deeply regret my reticence.

leo

One of the Regulars
Colby Jack said:
I'm thinking they just passed a law here in Florida, that you can't enter a bank with a hoodie on or a hat....Those scofflaws are giving us a bad name!:eek: :eek: :D

One of my banks here requires you to remove hat and sunglasses when entering.

I cannot look at a sombrero now without thinking of the movie Three Amigos. :)

Once under the influence of tequila at a fiesta in Mexico, my wife got up on a bull but absolutely refused to wear the "official" sombrero. I suspect my laughter was a contributing factor.

Bill

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
On the subject of sombreros, I'm really more of a pith-helmet man. On the subject of hats fitting the face, I think the people seeking a particular model may already know what looks good on them and are seeking one out. That's how I am, anyway.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points