Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some one-off Aeros?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well the mismatched Blue Label Half Belt has sold!!

Would love to know who bought it and what their thought process behind it was....

majormajor

One Too Many
Well..I don't think it will ever match up...but I could be wrong.

No problem, HD. Just do this to it:

I've corrected fairly lush coatings of mold by machine washing leather jackets. But it involves some technique. Here's my regimen:

1. Zip jacket, buckle all buckles and snaps.
2. Place in FRONT LOAD washer. Top load washers with the center agitator column may twist and tear leather.
3. Add a normal washload measure of Woolite
4. Wash cold
5. Remove by lifting from beneath-- without holding the now 25 pound jacket by any extremity.
6. Place on sturdy, heavily padded hanger. I pad wooden hangers with kid's foam pool noodles
7. Let dry a day, gently turn inside out, let dry a second day
8. Condition to taste. I paint on 3 coats of Lexol at 4 hour intervals, each heated to steaming in the microwave.

Your bonus for this is not only salvaging the jacket, but also the incredible grain and patina that washing bring out.

For those hesitating, I will repeat the statement I've made in previous posts: I have followed this procedure above for at least 30 jackets, including suede, goatskin, and horsehide. I have not destroyed one. Shrinkage is not an issue-- it's forced air drying and hot water that shrink leather. If anything, cold water washing relaxes the leather a bit.

Here's one I did earlier:

ball2s.jpg

:D;)

majormajor

One Too Many
What the hell is a donkey jacket? Looks kinda cool. Although the hide isn't exciting as others...

Hi Butte

Mainly a UK thing, although LVC have done some retro versions (why??) - a 70's pvc shouldered workman's jacket of the very worst kind......:eeek:;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
In UK parlance it's the name given to a style of serious manual labour jacket. It always has a union/road maker association for me - though I should point out, this isn't a donkey jacket, they're a lot plainer, normally only have leather across the shoulders and it usually matches the jacket. I'm not a massive fan of the combo, tbh, a black/cordovan would nice

Here you go, donkey jacket with a modern twist;): http://www.alexanderleathers.com/vintageclassics/donkey-jacket.html

I look forward to the day I see one of these on the Lounge...

Thanks guys. I like the Aero much better. But doesn't look like a railroad or miner's jacket to me. But then I grew up with both and they never had anything nicer than a denim jacket.

majormajor

One Too Many
The crazy thing is that I have a few US denim "chore" jackets (which I guess are the US equivalent of a Donkey Jacket), and yet I wouldn't wear the UK version.

That's just fickle, isn't it?[huh]:D;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn