Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Somebody 'splain this one to me...

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
A fool and his money have parted ways! That hat was made here in the USA probably in the 1960's . At most it's worth 25.00 . If it was an English made hat from Christy's I could see maybe 50.00 ,tops .:cool2:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Newbies run these things up in desperation, but someone's obviously dumb enough to spend that much or just doesn't care about the money. Looks like this hat popularity is coming to haunt us.

Why was this thread moved, BTW? The auction had ended.

Brad

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Looks to me like some folks got into a bidding war, sniping each other in the last minutes of the auction. Thirty-four bids for that hat!?

If you get an addiction to the auction and sniping, you are determined to win. Plus, the winner was a newby, as Brad pointed out.

The seller of these hats always has good prose, the most curious scenarios since the days of J. Peterman catalogues. He romanticizes the hats.

karol

shamus

Suspended
well looking at the auction, the hat really sold for 40.00, but the seller looks like he started a new "bidder" to bid up his own hat. Then some crazy english guy thinks the hat is worth a bundle at the end and buys it.

If you look, the same guy (ho just started his ebay account) is bidding up another hat by the same seller... hmmm

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Hat Marketing 101

IMO

1. This Ebay seller does good marketing job on their fedoras.

2. Large crystal clear photos of all angles.

3. Bold print descriptions which require buyer to read thru
builld up of hat till size is announced.

4. Have noticed this seller has not had a lot of sz. 7 1/4+
hats.

SC ;)

photobyalan said:
Yes, but where does he get so many of them? At any given moment, he has 5 or 6 hats up for sale. Never seems to have anything bigger than a 7 1/4, though. As soon as I see it's one of his, I hit the "back" button.

He mines eBay like the rest of us. He bids on sort of junky looking hats in small sizes knowing he can brush them up, add a story and sell them for ten times what he paid for them. Actually pretty slick. I have beat him on a few auctions for cheaper hats over the years---that's how I know. ;) :p

Regards to all,

J

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
The description is fun ...

and great pictures. I am always interested in the hats he sells. Unfortunately for me, his marketing works.

GA Wildlifer

I found that seller's "prose" downright annoying. How do the Texans put it? Something like, "All hat, no cattle." But in this case it's more like "lotsa bull and very little hat."

varga49

One of the Regulars
Ditto!

jamespowers said:
He mines eBay like the rest of us. He bids on sort of junky looking hats in small sizes knowing he can brush them up, add a story and sell them for ten times what he paid for them. Actually pretty slick. I have beat him on a few auctions for cheaper hats over the years---that's how I know. ;) :p

Regards to all,

J
You'll notice he sells mainly smaller sizes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot