Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Somebody stop me please!

vonwotan

Practically Family
Yesterday I sent my deposit to Art Fawcett for a custom hat and I told myself I would remove some of the hats from my ebay watch list.

After a rather trying day and week, I was still feeling self indulgent and purchased this hat on ebay.

385135965_81d73fde8f.jpg

385135961_8fa1e83330.jpg

385135966_aa2ff7faa3.jpg

budward

One of the Regulars
I'm afraid that what you have can't be cured, only managed. So forget fighting and think more in terms of directing. For instance, were I you, I'd figure out what I wanted and send my idea and money to Mr. Fawcett.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Budward. Agreed. Now that my closet is truly full of hats, some beaters for the field and fowl weather, and others for more formal occasions, I feel I am finally learning what it is I most like, and need to focus a bit more.

metalnut

New in Town
Collections on the web

Why not share your collection world wide. Easy, I have www.smokingmetal.co.uk and there is a link to the guys who designed the site. Suits any number of collections and you administer it, add to it as and when the need arises
Tony the metalnut from England

vonwotan said:
Yesterday I sent my deposit to Art Fawcett for a custom hat and I told myself I would remove some of the hats from my ebay watch list.

After a rather trying day and week, I was still feeling self indulgent and purchased this hat on ebay.

385135965_81d73fde8f.jpg

385135961_8fa1e83330.jpg

385135966_aa2ff7faa3.jpg

Matthew

New in Town
Twins!

I have a 60's(?) era stingy almost exactly like this one:

picture001xq4.jpg

picture002bl1.jpg

picture003qx6.jpg

The cloth "sweatband" isn't in the best shape, but the hat is in great shape.

I'd wear it... Its just that I don't wear it and don't want it. [huh]

- Matt

vonwotan

Practically Family
That fuzzy finish was one of the things I liked about the hat. Different enough to make it interesting. Does anyone know what that finish is called? Worth and Worth sell a hat the describe as "cashmere finish" and JJ Hat center have a few with a longer/fuzzy finish, but those have a bit more shine. So many options out there...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've had two fuzzy borsalinos and and a fuzzy stetson, but they've all been fuzzy in different ways. I don't know the real term for these finishes.

-------------------------------------------
compare the fuzziness of mine to the fuzziness of yours. see how they are all different?

vonwotan

Practically Family
Agreed. Quite different. One on the vintage Borsalino's I noticed on e-bay was a mink fur hat, but was not in my size. That one looked a lot more like the first black Borso in your photos. I don't have this new hat in my hands but I do want to see what happens after a good brushing.

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Vonwotan,

In the short time I have been on this board I have come to respect and admire your comments and taste. This looks like a fine hat.

In another post you mentioned that you liked Fussler, i wondered what you thought about John Bridges?

vonwotan

Practically Family
The wheels are turning as I shamelessy bask in your flattery. Are you referring to John Bridge's Gentlemanners series of books? Although I have noticed them on a friend's bookshef, I have yet to read them. I still refer to a very old copy of Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior, and older still Book of the Civilized Man by Daniel of Beccles (Urbanus Magnus Danielis Becclesiensis). I also suffer from Bibliomania!

None are more taken in by flattery than the proud, who wish to be the first and are not.
-Baruch Spinoza

:eek:fftopic: Two asides - In your hat photographs I noticed Eco and Barthes on your bookshelf. Do you teach semiotics? Literary criticism? In high school we had a philology class that covered Ferdinand de Saussure, and led me to explore structuralism. Later, by chance at universtiy, I had professors who taught our 19th century french literature classes with a clear focus on deconstruction and semiotics. I wonder sometimes I have made the right career choices - while in Rome with a group of students, the head of a prestigious Linguistics/Language department invited me to her University to complete my Masters in Linquistics and to work with her in the department. Unfortunately (?) I had already accepted a job on the options trading desk of what was the First Boston Corporation.

- For our more experienced members - how does one avoid l-o-l being turned into a smilie?

Matthew

New in Town
vonwotan said:
None are more taken in by flattery than the proud, who wish to be the first and are not.
-Baruch Spinoza

Did you...

You did.

...You just quoted Spinoza. On a hat forum.

You, sir, now have my fullest respect that can be given over a hat forum.

My turn!

“Laws which prescribe what everyone must believe, and forbid men to say or write anything against this or that opinion, are often passed to gratify, or rather to appease the anger of those who cannot abide independent minds.” - Baruch Spinoza, “Tractatus Theologico-Politicus” (1670)

“I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God.” - Baruch Spinoza, “Epistles,” #60

Thanks, I had to get that out of my system.

Sapere aude,

Matt.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Sapere aude indeed. A fine motto for some of us in this forum.

In order to keep things more or less on topic - here are some hat's from the period when Kant wrote What is Enlightenment?. The first two are from plates about five years prior, and the third is typical of the years just after (1790-1800).

386750540_b5d0fe2cf2.jpg

386750537_af3dd6a1ae.jpg

386750543_fa0892715f.jpg

Another question for our more experienced members. Does anyone know why some flickr images appear in my posts, while others appear only as links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran