Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sour Cherry Beer

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Earlier today after a busy morning of Christmas shopping, I was in need of liquid refreshment, remembering a friend who had swooned whilst telling me of a "Sour Cherry" beer she had tasted at the "Belgian beer cafe" I hurried to King Street.!!!

Escaping into the coolness of the beautiful hotels wood panneled interior I ordered a glass, pure heaven, sweet cold beer with a musky sour cherry after taste:eusa_clap and a pretty dark pink colour for the christmas table.

Belle Vue is a Belgian brewer that started out in the early 1900's, not as a brewer but as a buyer and blender of lambic style beers. Now owned by the mega-brewer Interbrew, Belle Vue are world famous for their fruit flavoured lambic, and blended lambic (gueuze) styles. Lambics are one of the oldest beer styles that start out as wheat beers made with stale hops and naturally occuring yeasts that live in the districts and countryside around southern Brussels. This produces a strong acidic yeasty beer which is often balanced by adding fruit, usually cherries and aged in oak barrels to give it a softer fruitier woody aged character. The resulting style is know as a fruit-lambic and makes an excellent substitute for dry wines or champagne, especially with food.
Belle Vue Fruit lambics are generally at the softer slightly sweeter more commerical end of the style and hence serve as a good introduction to this unique beer style. Served correctly in special long tall glasses or even champagne flutes, most people will find it hard to believe it is a beer at all. Many people who do not like "yellow bitter fizzy beer" will enjoy and appreciate this subtler style.

The brewer describes this beer as "An elegant refreshing fruity beer brewed with an abundance of fruit (in this case 10% cherries) and naturally matured in oak barrels for 3 years".

From the draught pours a clear cherry-rasberry red colour, and mid- pink-red, fine, medium lasting head. A trace of sediment left in bottle. Definitive fruity berry and cherry sweet aroma. Typical kriek fruity, slightly musty, flavour with moderately well balanced acid-sweet palate and sour-dry refreshing finish.

http://www.bestrestaurants.com.au/S...restaurants/WA/thebelgianbeercafe/2.jpg&w=240

Brooksie

One Too Many
I do not like beer at all but I absolutly LOVE Lambic Beers! My friend from South Africa turned me onto them this last summer and you are right they hardly taste like beer at all it is much lighter and more refreshing. My favorite is the frambois(raspberry) and the cassis is good too.

Brooksie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic