Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source for vintage/vintage-esque journals

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Hi guys, as you can tell I haven't posted here much, but I'm currently looking for a nice leatherbound, blank (unlined) journal to use as a dig/travel/day-to-day chronicle of sorts. If anybody has any links or contacts, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks,
-Kodiak

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I use a pocket Moleskine just about everywhere I go. I have one that looks like the old detectives notebook that flips up and the other is just a standard notebook type. Both fit wonerfully in the cargo pocket of my Wested.

Cheers!

Dan

Another Moleskine user

I too use a Moleskine for just about everything. I have a large quad-ruled one for work, a large lined one for a personal journal, and then a smaller pocket size for quick notes. In my job, I spend a lot of time in front of presidents, ceo's, and cio's of some of the worlds largest firms, and you would be amazed at the number of these people who carry a moleskine.

You can find them at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, or you can order them from Moleskine USA and you can find some interesting hacks for them on 43 Folders.

PR

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Me too

I have one in my safari jacket pocket right now, and a larger one at home on the desk. Excellent journals.

But if you really want leather and want to spend a bit, the coolest ones are made by Indy Magnoli, a member here you can PM for information.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
I have one in my safari jacket pocket right now, and a larger one at home on the desk. Excellent journals.

But if you really want leather and want to spend a bit, the coolest ones are made by Indy Magnoli, a member here you can PM for information.

Yeah... but I wanna WRITE in it not look at in say "That is very pretty and very expensive."

Thanks for the help guys. Moleskines are pretty cool, but if anybody ever runs across something that looks likethis for less than $95 let me know please.

Thanks,
Kodiak

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
DanielJones said:
I use a pocket Moleskine just about everywhere I go. I have one that looks like the old detectives notebook that flips up and the other is just a standard notebook type. Both fit wonerfully in the cargo pocket of my Wested.
Dan

Another vote for Moleskine. I use the sketchbooks, nice thick paper that my inks don't leak through, and the elastic band feature plus the rounded corners make it the number one choice for me.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
If you go to your local art supply store you can find various notebooks like the grail diary style from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It may have leather lacing around the edges, though they should have similar for 10 to 15 bucks.

I use old school composition notebooks for work
Feltatwork-vi.jpg

A plain old paper bound notebook for my pocket
Sittinatthediner-vi.jpg

IMG_0103-vi.jpg

The moleskine I keep in my breifcase for adresses and such... I think they are a bit too bulky, at least bulkier than the paper bound notebook.

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
I love my Moleskine notebook and address book. I started using them about two years ago; they are my constant companions. My assistant has gotten addicted to Moleskine since I gave her an address book last fall.

shortbrim

New in Town
Notebooks

A good stationary store should have dozens of types of notebooks in different sizes. I have one which is 3" X 4", all the way up to a very large journal I use at home which is 12" X 16". These are all in the range of two to fifteen dollars. Also, if there is a chinatown near you, there are some fairly decent little notebooks for a couple of dollars. For plain writing cheaper is better, but for people who draw, a type of journal with thicker, high quality art paper is useful. The moleskines have an elastic band to keep the book tightly closed, but on my notebooks I just put the ubiquitous rubber band around and: "instant moleskine".

Kodiak

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
It'll be right next to the Stetson Flagship I never found for $5.

Yeah, and the Adventurebilt for $2.50 and the Wested and a dollar ;)

Nice pics Matt. Are those Indy glasses you are wearing?

Thanks for your help again.

-Kodiak

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Kodiak,

Try a google image search for "embossed journal" and you'll turn up a number of low-cost alternatives. You won't find anything just like the YI Diary, but you can find similar looking books. Good luck and

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I am out in the field making notes for a travel article, I use a Moleskine. When I am around town, I have one in my bag.

However, I would never use one for journaling. Journaling is too important for a Moleskine. I love those little books, but the paper quality is inferior, they are not bound tight enough for repeated readings, and you want those things to last.

I journal everyday, tracking what I hope will be the developement of a good life and more importantly, a good character. I want my children and their children to have access to who I was and how I was. So, for years, I use the leather bound journals from Fiorentina. They are 6X8" and come in a variety of styles, all very vintage looking.

Lately, I have been stocking up each time I go to Italy, but you can get the same thing at Barnes and Nobles. They cost anywhere from $35 to $50 and last anywhere from 6 months to a year, depending on how much there is to be said.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Art supply stores always have things ON SALE that can be used as journals. No lines, and paper of astonishingly high quality, so good that it can be used for e.g. watercolors. Poke around and you will probably be delighted with what you find. Where I live, there are always art supply stores going out of business with merchandise at 50% off.

As with all hunts for good deals, it's best to have a few different visions of what might be good, but to not be too wedded to one of them. It is good to be able to appreciate something unexpected but very nice.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Doran, I like the way you think.
Art supply stores, even Hallmark stores have deals every once in while and I've found some perfect looking pocket size note books. I've also found some that had covers I didn't like but they were cheap enough to be worth changing the cover.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy