Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sources of Panama Hats (newbie alert!)

Canadave

One Too Many
scotrace said:
...For next summer, I want one like... like CanaDave's "reverse taper" die-for model...

This one...

PanamaFrontS.JPG

PanamaRibbonS.JPG

David

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Panamabob said:
Just put up the new pricing. Working on the Cuenca page.
Some impressive price reductions, there. I think that takes you down to (or below) Panama Hats Direct pricing across the board.
:cheers1:

As the competition seems to be getting pleasantly cut-throat :) one thing Panama Hats Direct does still offer that you don't (or, quite probably, that you do offer but don't yet advertise) is the ability to make custom changes to the blocking on lower-grade hats (don't know about the price) and the ability to have a smaller brim (for free) or a larger brim (for not too much more money).

I've often thought that a panama hat that combines a fedora-style crown with a plantation-style wide brim would be rather smart. (I think people like me who have round faces often suit a wide brim, and sometimes even a high crown as well).

Canadave and jamespowers: nice. :) If you don't mind my asking, what grade of weave those hats?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Side By Side!

Dave, James,

YES! Those are they! Covet!! Covet!!
Art gives swanky ribbon. M U S T H A V E, :cool:
Did you see my new Cavanagh in feltfan's "some of my hats" thread?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
There are many, many fellows here who will tell you that we customize the hat down to the nearest cm. It only takes a contact to do that. The site will be revitalized and changed soon enough. Exactly which fedora crown would you like to see with the long brim?

I am not in a pricing war. I am now comfortable just helping my wife's family to a nice income and to selling as many hats as possible for reasons I've gone into at great detail. For example, Mr. Cs $80 hat was really $96 with shipping, $3.00 less. For example, rarely, if ever, did we send out the $99 hat with less than 400-500 weaves per square inch.

For those that wish to make a mint, we'd gladly wholesale in lots of 10 or more.

What grade are those hats Canadave and JamesP? BTW, where'd you get 'em from?

Canadave

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
I'd have to count the weaves! I certainly don't remember even yesterday :cheers1:

I just checked back to our original correspondence...my memory is not so good either...but I keep records! ;)

It's a Fino...4-500 wsi.

David

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Panama Bob said:
There are many, many fellows here who will tell you that we customize the hat down to the nearest cm. It only takes a contact to do that. The site will be revitalized and changed soon enough.
Sweet. :)

I'd love to continue this conversation by email.... I presume you didn't get the message I sent you on Monday. I sent another mail about 3 or 4 hours ago today (Friday) - did you get it this time? If not, what address should I be emailing you at?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love my hat from Panama Bob. It is an Ecuadorian block and a very fine weave (to me). How fine, I am really not sure. It was very affordable (less than $75) and is a great summer hat. Here is a photo:

I replaced the ribbon with one from Steve Delk (Thank you Steve!). Those of you who are observant will notice that the bow is a little crooked, but I have fixed it and lowered the ribbon a little since this photo was taken. Panama Bob sells excellent hats at great prices. I have enjoyed the process of doing business with him and will again, soon.

Next hat, I want more of an American block, straight-sided fedora style with a nice vintage ribbon like this one from Fedora. I think these types of classic 1930-style Panamas are tougher to come by.

Good luck in your search!

Panamabob said:
What grade are those hats Canadave and JamesP? BTW, where'd you get 'em from?

I am not sure the grade of my hat pictured. Of course I got the hat body through you and had Art block it. If I remember right it was one of the better/best bodies you sent. I like to go for the best if I am going to run head long into something. ;) The color is very even and the weave is straight. I am not going to see if it can hold water though. :p
The ribbon really makes the hat and the block is perfect for what I need it for---wearing. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

riccardo

Practically Family
Some question, Canadave...

Canadave said:
This one...

PanamaFrontS.JPG

PanamaRibbonS.JPG

David
Good morning Canadave,
i see your hat, it is very beautiful, it has a wonderful ribbon and a wonderful weaves too.
My question: i see you bring it on a table, and i see the brim shaped up, do you wear your hat so, with this choice, or do you turn down the front brims?
Isn't it in a fedora style?

Thanks, Canadave.
With compliments.

Riccardo

Canadave

One Too Many
riccardo said:
...do you wear your hat so, with this choice, or do you turn down the front brims?
Isn't it in a fedora style?...

Hi Riccardo,

That pic was taken just after I received it, and before I shaped the front of the brim. I have another Panama, in an Optimo style, that I wear with the brim up all the way around.

Hope that helps,

David

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Quick update:

I've decided to hold off buying a "proper" panama until I see how Panama Bob's experiments with ultra-high-grade Cuenca hats pan out. So I've ordered myself something cheap, just as a stop-gap. The "Planète Panama" people have a French office, which occasionally sells on Ebay, so I've ordered one of their so-called "extra fino" Cuenca hats. As it's being shipped from France rather than from the americas this keeps the shipping and tax/duty to manageable levels (50 euros for the hat + 8 euros shipping).

Should I post a photo when it arrives?

Links to the hat in question (mine will have a black ribbon rather than grey):

http://www.planetepanama.com/models/Cuenca/man/cuencaextrafinoingles.htm

or on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5408062115

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Please post photos. That super fine hat photo shows a brisa weave. You can see the thicker paja up near where the crown meets the brim. I'd hate for you to get a brisa weave hat as an extra fine. The photo for the extra fine looks llano, but it is fuzzy.

I wonder if I'm the only one here who has been to the shop in Quito.

Michael D

Familiar Face
New Montecristi acquisition

Panama Bob,

This weekend a friend gave me a 10 year old Montecristi hat body, still rolled up and in a balsa wood box. He bought it in Ecuador and gave it to his father who did nothing with it all these years. The box has Montecristi and Manabi printed on it, so it appears to be authentic.

My friend said that he thinks it's a pretty cheap hat. I have a Casey-rated fino that I bought last year. This new one is different than it. The weave seems to have a pattern with thicker paja indicating where the brim begins as well as in other places. The weave doesn't look like its herringbone like my other one does. The brim is backwoven, though.

What can you tell me about this hat? Is this a brisa weave? Oh yeah, the hat also came with a yarn (alpaca?) hat band that can be tied on.

I'm looking forward to having it blocked.

Thanks,

Mike

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Michael D,

Post a photo or email one to me info@panamahat.biz

It has all of the signs of being a Cuenca brisa passed off the world over as a Montecristi llano. Forgive me, but Ecuadorians aren't known for, shall we say, telling the truth when it comes to $$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner