Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sourcing your own leather for a jacket in the USA?

JLStorm

Practically Family
I recently contacted a US jacket manufacturer who did not have the weight of leather in stock that I was interested in, but they said that I could provide my own leather for them to use. This is an option that I never even considered. Does anyone know how to go about sourcing a very small quantity of leather for use in a single jacket? Im interested in goat, cow, or bison/buffalo.

Any suggestions?

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
You should be able to obtain any number of hides of cow, bison, elk or deer from Uber Tanning. No where near as cheap as manufacturers can obtain for larger orders, but it is possible.

http://uberleather.com/leather_prices.html

Do you mind sharing which manufacturer is willing to do the work? I'd like to talk about a custom elkskin jacket myself.

EDIT added: BTW, I can't vouch for all their hides, but I have a motorcycle jacket from Uber, and the deerskin is excellent.

JLStorm

Practically Family
TheSnark said:
You should be able to obtain any number of hides of cow, bison, elk or deer from Uber Tanning. No where near as cheap as manufacturers can obtain for larger orders, but it is possible.

Do you mind sharing which manufacturer is willing to do the work? I'd like to talk about a custom elkskin jacket myself.

EDIT added: BTW, I can't vouch for all their hides, but I have a motorcycle jacket from Uber, and the deerskin is excellent.

US Authentic. We havent talked about pricing though, so Im not sure how much less a jacket will be if using a hide I purchased elsewhere.

Navin323i

Practically Family
TheSnark said:

That's a cool site... thanks for providing the link. :)

One question... on that site it indicates that #1 Elk is $150/hide. How many hides would be needed to make a jacket? Is one hide enough?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Turns out US-A wont work with anything over 3.5 oz :( They say leather that heavy isnt for use in clothing. My 6+oz jacket is insulted...

Navin323i

Practically Family
JLStorm said:
Turns out US-A wont work with anything over 3.5 oz :( They say leather that heavy isnt for use in clothing. My 6+oz jacket is insulted...

Seriously? Does US-A not realize that plenty of companies out there use leather heavier than 3.5oz for use in jackets? That makes no sense what they said. :eusa_doh:

JLStorm

Practically Family
Navin323i said:
Seriously? Does US-A not realize that plenty of companies out there use leather heavier than 3.5oz for use in jackets? That makes no sense what they said. :eusa_doh:

Quoted from their email:
"Anything over 3.5 oz is not for apparel. I can use heavier hides but I will
need to skive the seam areas and that will be costly."

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
Beware of Shaul Dover!I made a very expensive mistake per a custom jacket.Check out Johnson leathers if you want fantastic customer service.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Navin323i said:
Ooops... sorry for not noticing that page before.

No problem... but keep in mind that the number of hides required very much depends on the design of the jacket. Generally speaking, a jacket with fewer, larger sections of leather will require more hides than a jacket with numerous smaller sections. Features like one-piece backs, bi-swing backs and reinforced kidney panels (and other things) require additional leather. For that reason, the number of hides/jacket quoted on the website can only be considered a guideline... you may need more. Best to discuss the design on the jacket with the manufacturer beforehand.

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
crimsonofsam said:
Beware of Shaul Dover!I made a very expensive mistake per a custom jacket.

I've never tried to source my own hides for a jacket, but I've always had excellent service from Shaul at US A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy