Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soviet Treasures found in British Shipwreck

Story

I'll Lock Up
A British ship stuffed with gold, diamonds and platinum was sunk by a German submarine in June of 1942. It was American company Sub Sea Research that found the ship lying on the seabed not far from Guyana, South America.

http://www.russia-ic.com/news/show/7742/

In a project shrouded in secrecy, work is due to start on recovering the cargo, which was being transported to the United States to help pay for the Allied effort in the Second World War.

The scale of the treasure trove is likely to unleash a series of competing claims from interested parties. Salvage laws are notoriously complex and experts say there could be many years of legal wrangling ahead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/en...lds-2.6-billion-treasure-explorers-claim.html

blue-baron_1246120f.jpg

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
Odyssey Marine Exploration is another salvage company that has become quite prolific in it's underwater archeology. The latest discovery being HMS Victory. I saw a very fascinating program on NatGeo (or was it Discovery) about them....and it's just riveting stuff.
Seeing bronze cannon over 200 years old brought up from the sea bed is phenomenal.

My kind of documentary..

ET

One of the Regulars
I would love to hear more about their court proceedings as I am sure it will set a precedent for future salvage. Why would anyone go looking for a treasure if they are just going to lose it in court...

Kifaru

New in Town
ET said:
Why would anyone go looking for a treasure if they are just going to lose it in court...

A. Looking for lost things is an addiction.

B. When you find it, you get into the history books. And,

C. more importantly, even a small percentage of astronomical sum is still A LOT!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran