Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spanx

The Shirt

Practically Family
I have spanx with fishnets which I have to admit I adore. They do the job of multiple undergarments all in one. And I can be lazy some days. They have also lasted nearly 2 years without a run or snag. Assets are nice for a little less control than spanx but more than the average control top.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
How do the Spanx or Assets compare to wearing more traditional undergarments like a girdle? Are Spanx more of a "starter" for wearing the undergarments that hold you in?

Elaina

One Too Many
IMO Only

I find there is no comparison. Spanx does a great job for light control, and if you have curves, I've found the tend to roll down somewhat. My vintage style doesn't do that, ever. I don't know about "starter", when I started to develop, my mom made sure I had proper undergarments for everything, and it's similar to what I still wear.

It is more comfortable for days when I want to sort of look together but don't want/need the industrial strength, but I tend to go right back to the vintage styled for anything else.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Elaina said:
I find there is no comparison. Spanx does a great job for light control, and if you have curves, I've found the tend to roll down somewhat. My vintage style doesn't do that, ever. I don't know about "starter", when I started to develop, my mom made sure I had proper undergarments for everything, and it's similar to what I still wear.

It is more comfortable for days when I want to sort of look together but don't want/need the industrial strength, but I tend to go right back to the vintage styled for anything else.

Thanks, Elaina. What I meant by "starter" was to start with Spanx to get used to having something to shape you, then progressing on to the more "industrial strength" garments. I have found that when things are too tight, I feel faint, so that is my concern about getting a girdle. I don't want to be uncomfortable all the time either.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
SweetieStarr said:
How do the Spanx or Assets compare to wearing more traditional undergarments like a girdle? Are Spanx more of a "starter" for wearing the undergarments that hold you in?

I don't consider Spanx or Assets a "starter" but a different garment for a different purpose. I wear Assets with my modern clothing and a girdle with my vintage. You can get girdles as tight or not as you want to. For example, I have 3 different sizes of Rago cincher, one that fits my waist measurement but is a size too big for my hips for everyday, the next size down with fits the hip but is a size too small for going out and the next size smaller (2sizes smaller in the waist) for when I need to "knock 'em dead". The smallest one I can only tolerate for 2-3hrs, the largest one I can wear while scrubbing the floors on my hands and knees, ride my bike, play with the kids. If you are wearing actual vintage (not repro), they just won't fit without a girdle.

Elaina

One Too Many
SweetieStarr said:
Thanks, Elaina. What I meant by "starter" was to start with Spanx to get used to having something to shape you, then progressing on to the more "industrial strength" garments. I have found that when things are too tight, I feel faint, so that is my concern about getting a girdle. I don't want to be uncomfortable all the time either.

I knew what you meant, but my mom started me in the longline bra/girlde panty. I never had any other kind of shapewear until I bought my own.

Too tight...I had to wear a corset for scoliosis. I have the other problem: I don't know what to do if I am not encased like a sausage. But kamikat is right, you can get them as tight, or loose as you want.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SweetieStarr said:

A girdle is meant to keep you in place, body stockings are meant to smooth you out without restricting movement. But as Kamikat said, different girdles for different things.

I wear the stockings generally for every day, but if its something formal, a girdle is the way to go. You arnt gonna need to scrub the floor in a double panel girdle, hopefully.

LD

roselily

One of the Regulars
I just bought a pair of the assests and I'm having a dilemma- I've never had one that came down so far in the legs! It actually is long enough to tuck into the bottom of my bra, so it's perfect for the dress, but I'm wondering how to go to the restroom without stripping entirely. Should I cut open the gusset?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
roselily said:
I just bought a pair of the assests and I'm having a dilemma- I've never had one that came down so far in the legs! It actually is long enough to tuck into the bottom of my bra, so it's perfect for the dress, but I'm wondering how to go to the restroom without stripping entirely. Should I cut open the gusset?
I have an Assets that comes up to my bra and down to the upper thigh. Honestly, I only wear it during the summer when a girdle, stockings and slip (I know, shocking!) would be too hot. If you aren't wearing stockings and garter or pantyhose, the best way to do your business is to unzip your side zipper and just raise the dress only as far as it takes to pull it down. Getting yourself back together is a bit of a PITA, but it's better than wetting yourself. :D

roselily

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
I have an Assets that comes up to my bra and down to the upper thigh. Honestly, I only wear it during the summer when a girdle, stockings and slip (I know, shocking!) would be too hot. If you aren't wearing stockings and garter or pantyhose, the best way to do your business is to unzip your side zipper and just raise the dress only as far as it takes to pull it down. Getting yourself back together is a bit of a PITA, but it's better than wetting yourself. :D

Unfortunately, the dress is a back zip. AND the zipper sticks like crazy- DH has to use a needlenose pliers to get me into it (that's the main reason for the shapewear- I'm hoping the inch or so smaller the shapewear makes me keeps the zipper from bursting, since it fits like a glove. A skintight glove. It's fitted from the upper hip to the bust, so there's no hitching the shapewear down like I could with a different dress. Did I mention it's also floorlength?

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
roselily said:
Unfortunately, the dress is a back zip. AND the zipper sticks like crazy- DH has to use a needlenose pliers to get me into it (that's the main reason for the shapewear- I'm hoping the inch or so smaller the shapewear makes me keeps the zipper from bursting, since it fits like a glove. A skintight glove. It's fitted from the upper hip to the bust, so there's no hitching the shapewear down like I could with a different dress. Did I mention it's also floorlength?

The spanx power panty (the one that looks like bike shorts) has the gusset slit open already. I love that aspect of spanx, thats kind of what make them what they are. They're designed by a woman who probably has had this problem before. However, when i wear mine, i would rather break a sweat pulling them down and up when i use the ladies room because i just don't think a lady would pull her panties to the side to pee and i'm always scared i'm going to pee on myself. I would suggest investing in a pair of spanx. Mine have lasted for what seems like forever!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
roselily said:
Unfortunately, the dress is a back zip. AND the zipper sticks like crazy-

Try rubbing some beeswax (like the kind used for sewing) over the zipper. Candle wax would probably also do. This will usually help the zipper work a little more smoothly.

If the dress is THAT snug on you, I'd really suggest getting a foundation that will give you more minimizing than Assets. Something like a corselette or high waisted girdle will also let you use the ladies room more easily.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
*martini*time* said:
i would rather break a sweat pulling them down and up when i use the ladies room because i just don't think a lady would pull her panties to the side to pee and i'm always scared i'm going to pee on myself.

So don't wear panties!

But seriously, I promise you that a lot of us do this and it really doesn't make us any less ladylike, and I'm pretty sure ladies probably pulled their panties to the side back in the day. Believe me, you won't pee on yourself. Also, if you're willing to wear a thong, this becomes a lot easier.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I have the power panties and usually love them. They definitely make a difference to how smooth and firm you look and being held in like that makes you feel more confidant about how you look for sure. I find them great when I want something more comfortable than a corset. My husband wondered why I would need such a thing (I'm fairly slim) but even he'll tell me now if I would look better if I put them on, when requested only of course. They are a little thick so they're very cozy in the winter (I call them my not-so-long underwear lol) and they feel just fine under a comfy dress, but though they're more necessary under a very slim dress I find this combination to feel a little more restrictive, and in the summer they can sometimes make your butt itchy lol
I haven't really tried any vintage style girdles yet, but at least until then I do recommend having a couple pairs of Spanx. I'm very happy to have mine.

Last edited:

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Aside from the different kinds of panties, spanx also makes slimming camisoles and slips, so you wouldn't have anything to pull down. Would this help? (I know this thread is old, but still...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112