Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speakeasy opens in Houston

Luis

One of the Regulars
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) --
There's a new bar opening in Pearland that aims to take you back in time. Grazia Italian Kitchen co-owner Adrian Hembree and his partners have created their own prohibition-era speakeasy with an eye on authenticity.

"Think secret door knocks and windows; just a whole new secretive world," Hembree told Eyewitness News.

It's called The Noble Experiment, named for the era it celebrates. The theme is a new take on a once-thriving underground nightlife scene. Speakeasy of the 1920s existed in backrooms and alleyways in every American city at a time when alcohol was illegal.

"America people wanted a chance to get dressed up and go out to a place and enjoy a nice drink," Hembree said, adding, "That was part of my inspiration for this place."

http://abc13.com/business/pearland-restaurant-transports-customers-back-in-time/1013936/

What do you guys think? Might be worth to check it out. :D

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I'd love to go to a place like that! I'm thinking a high-gorge, tight-fitting, navy, double breasted suit with shocking white chalkstripes that I have would be perfect for that venue.

de Stokesay

Luis

One of the Regulars
It is actually walking distance from my house (.7 miles), how lucky is that!!!

I definitely will be making plans to go within the next week or so. My wife found it yesterday and was so excited to tell me.

Gonna have to research what he means by how the drinks were made back then.

Ersatz. But wotthehell.

I lived for years up near the end of a dog-leg dead-end road where you might find that all the on-street parking was taken at 3 a.m. on a weeknight. This was on account of there being one house on that street that had in its basement an illicit after-hours/gambling den. The keepers of the place kept things quiet and peaceful so as not to incur the wrath of the neighbors. If the cops knew about it, well, they would have had a helluva time trying to bust it, seeing how it truly was a speakeasy (and not in name only, as the "theme" bar cited above, and many others like it around the country [it's something of a fad] clearly are) with entry restricted to those "connected" and in the know. After all, no law against friends getting together at 3 a.m., right? And who says the house is taking a piece of the action? And selling the hooch?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred