Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Specifying an Aero Barnstormer...

Philrs

New in Town
Dear all, I have read all threads on this subject and would like a few pieces of advise for better informed people than me...

I live in Glasgow and so went to Aero today for measurements. I am planning to buy a very dark brown FQHH barnstormer with shawl collar (in a even darker shade of brown).

Here are my main questions:
1. Belt. I would rather have some form of half-belt around the back. Would anyone know of half-belt designs that suit the Barnstormer well? Pictures would be appreciated.

2. Length. I have read that some people add 2 inches to the length of the arms and to the overall length of the coat. Any views on this? Again, pictures would be appreciated.

Many thanks for any input you might have--and any suggestion.

pauleway

Practically Family
Dear all, I have read all threads on this subject and would like a few pieces of advise for better informed people than me...

I live in Glasgow and so went to Aero today for measurements. I am planning to buy a very dark brown FQHH barnstormer with shawl collar (in a even darker shade of brown).

Here are my main questions:
1. Belt. I would rather have some form of half-belt around the back. Would anyone know of half-belt designs that suit the Barnstormer well? Pictures would be appreciated.

2. Length. I have read that some people add 2 inches to the length of the arms and to the overall length of the coat. Any views on this? Again, pictures would be appreciated.

Many thanks for any input you might have--and any suggestion.

I think a False HB design on this jacket would look good. You get a nice design without the hassle of a real belt.

wdw

One Too Many
If you've been measured by Aero (Will?), then I would take whatever sleeve length they give you. I certainly wouldn't add 2 inches to that. As for the length of the coat, presumably you discussed that at the fitting and the measurements reflect that.

One thing I'd say, when I went for my first fitting I didn't know the standard length of the jacket I wanted and just said measure down to "here". It ended up longer than I had in mind, and with hindsight I should have gone armed with measurements of jackets I have, compared that to the standard length of the new jacket and then made a decision as to what adjustment I really wanted.

I think the Barnstormer might be around 30/31 inches back length, and based on the 5'10" or 11" standard height Aero claim to use. I'm basing that on the Stockman I recently ordered having a standard 32" back (which I've reduced by an inch) and that being I think the longest of the car coat style jackets.

It's not too late to change your mind if you think you've got the wrong dimensions. I should have, didn't and lost over £300 when I traded it back in 2 months later.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I'd have thought that if Will had measured you up then the additional sleeve length would have been built into the sizing already.

Kentaurus, a German Aero dealer, sell the Norfolk jacket that has a false belt. Aero should be able to do something similar for you assuming it's not a dealer specific pattern.

Aero_Norfolk_jacket_P1010695.jpg
Aero_Norfolk_back_P1010696.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
Given the recent debate over Aero pricing and free modifications, it's interesting to see the high German price and also the fact that they charge extra for all these mods. I wonder if Aero charge retailers for mods or if the poor German buyer just gets a raw deal?

D

Deleted member 16736

What's the deal with $2000 leather jackets? They're popping up all over, and I find that price exorbitant.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have a steer Barnstormer, I like the belt very much but dont think it would go with a halfbelt as well. If the belt wraps around the half-belt it may tend to sit slightly above or below it.
As a special request, mine has a 1 piece back, that is to say top yolk but main back panel is one piece. Ken advised that it would be almost impossible to do this with Front quarter horse due to the size of hide needed.
Fantastic jacket in every way.

Philrs

New in Town
The length of that design is pretty long, I don't know if I'd add any length unless you are fairly tall.

Yes, I am 6 3" so I might want to specify it a bit longer than what would be standard for my chest size (44 - 46).

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
If Will measured you I would leave the length to him, I've been a couple of times for different jackets and they came perfect, believe me trust Will! if you want to discuss it give him a ring.

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy