Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star Wars III

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
MK said:
I think Lucas got it right this time.

That would imply that there is something wrong with the previous episodes…which there is not. Episode I is especially brilliant and a masterpiece.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Episode I is a brilliant masterpiece? Err, alright then.

To me Episode I was not only a mediocre movie but a bad Star Wars movie. Lucas ruined large parts of the Star Wars mythos with that film, also with Episode II as well. And as a movie, it was sub-par. Believe me, I really wanted it to be good when I saw it at the premiere. But I just couldn't make myself do it.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
I'm excited about it, but I think just for curiosity sake, because of the hype, and because it will finally (?) be over. For me, I know how the story ends, and I know what will unfold, but I want to see how it gets there anyway. I will not see it Thursday however, or Friday or Saturday. We have our annual band trip Thursday-Saturday (I'll spend Sunday recovering). I'll catch it sometime before the summer is over. Between moving and setting up my new band at a new school.

As to the last two movies, they are OK. They are not my favorites but they serve the purpose they were intended to serve. They introduce the characters and show us what events lead to EP IV. Could they have done a better job? Sure, take it for what it is: a movie, it is for entertainment. It is not life. (Just don't remind me of what I said when/if the next Indy movie comes out ;) )

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
The original trilogy was my childhood. I've seen episodes 4-6 20 times at least.

-Episode One injured my soul.
-Episode Two crippled my soul.
-I am fairly certain Episode Three will obliterate it completely.

But I don't have the balls to not go and see it. So, my soul and I, we've already exchanged our good-byes.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I saw it yesterday

It was good. Empire will always be my favorite, but this is probably 2nd. The cgi has improved greatly. The themes are powerful....and disturbing. I think I need to put some distance on it to get proper perspective.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You got it right, Jack Scorpion!

Episode I may be one of the worst films ever! Granted, nothing could ever live up to the expectations of lifelong Star Wars fans, but to deliver that piece of garbage was a collective slap in the face. Bad characters,bad acting and bad writing. Episode II was just as bad, for the same reasons, but also for destroying the mythology of the original trilogy. So ALL the bad guys are Boba Fett??? mmmhmmm.......
All that being said, I've got my Episode III tix for 10:30 tonight!
Glutton for punishment,
flat-top

Michael D

Familiar Face
Doctor Strange said:
(E.g., I recall *before* he wanted to class up his image and claim that his inspiration came from the mythological stuides of Joseph Campbell, when it was clear that the Flash Gordon serials, The Wizard of Oz, The Adventures of Robin Hood, westerns, WWII war flicks, Asimov's Foundation series, and Jack Kirby/Stan Lee Marvel comics were his true touchstones!)

Leave us not forget Akira Kurasawa's "The Hidden Fortress" whose characters and impossible situations they got in and out of were a direct inspiration for 'A New Hope'.

Mike

zeus36

A-List Customer
Ok, just saw it first showing this morning. No lines and only a half full theater!
I think that this one is about the best of them, but nothing can duplicate the experience of the first one in 1977 when I was a 16 year old science fiction geek and Trekker.

The action is great, but with alot of cut-aways to non-action sequences and parallel fighting. So much input to absorb!

Somehow I kept wishing Han Solo would show up, as there was a lack of a strong central character.

Nice tie-ins to episode four at the end. I'm gonna say this a must see on the big screen.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Star Wars

I saw the original in 1977, my Freshman year in college. Saw it in Marin County, at the opening theater where the movie premiered! I thought it was supurb, nothing like we had ever seen before. Especially when at the beginning, Darth Vader enters when the Storm Troopers invade the ship. No one missed the similiarity to Nazi's, etc.

This film spawned countless "sayings", costumes at the Haloween dance, you name it! The original sequesl (first three) were just as good as the Indy Trilogy..you wanted to see what was next. Like when Hans Solo is frozen in the second film. Wow.

The last one I saw, the Revenge of the Clones, it really sucked, and the passage of about 20+ years indicated that this film ganre' was "dated" in my opinion.

However, I will see this one, as it is a vast improvement (per the film critics) over the last. Plus, how do you tell your 13 year old boy "we're not going to see THAT film". It's new to him!

flat-top

Just got back........

....from seeing Episode III. Well....I liked it! It's flawed for sure, but it obliterates I & II. The one thing I didn't like (I'm not spoiling anything here), is that Anakin/ Vader was not "seduced" by the Dark Side as has been stated in the original trilogy; he definitely thinks he's doing the right thing by becoming a Sith. I guess this was Lucas' way of keeping him sympathetic.
The only real bad guy here is The Emperor, who steals the whole movie!
May the Schwartz Be With You,
flat-top

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
What!?

flat-top said:
.. I guess this was Lucas' way of keeping him sympathetic.
The only real bad guy here is The Emperor, who steals the whole movie!

Sympathetic?

Anakin deserves everything he got. He betrayed everything he believed in and everyone who ever cared for him....including Padme. He said he was doing it all for her, but it really was his selfish desire to not lose her. He even slaughtered innocent children to accomplish his goal. If he is not a bad guy.......

flat-top

Let me re-phrase that..........

.....Anakin is BAD, I mean his actions and such, but he THINKS that what he is doing is for a greater good. Not simply bloodlust or power, which is what I'd say we were to originally believe. His road to Hell was paved with good intentions.
flat-top

Canyon

Familiar Face
I went to the cinema in the early hours of Thursday morning, and around 1am, the 20th Century Fox logo started up and those the Lucasfilm logo showed itself once more. Then those immortal words....

.....a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...........

The first twenty mintues were supberb and the rest was fantastic. :)

swinggal

One Too Many
Anakin deserves everything he got. He betrayed everything he believed in and everyone who ever cared for him....including Padme. He said he was doing it all for her, but it really was his selfish desire to not lose her. He even slaughtered innocent children to accomplish his goal. If he is not a bad guy.......

Couldn't agree more. He was 'seduced' by the dark side in every sense of the word. Once again proving Yoda and Obi Wans' constant warnings that "a Jedi that forms attachments is dangerous, as he fears loss" were true. He did not just want his new powers to help save Padme, he was openly using it for evil, even without the Emperors orders.

I too saw Star Wars at the cinema when I was 7, and it blew me away. Even influenced my career path. I disliked the first two new movies, but I really enjoyed this one. It seemed to have the feel of the old movies somehow, and the tie-ins were great. Fine end to Anakins' story, which is what Episode I, II and III were.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
zeus36 said:
A co-worker got to see it two weeks ago at a private screening as his wife works in the entertainment industry-- he said it was the best one so far.
Best of all 6 episodes or Best of the last three. I'm just finding it hard for Lucas to top Ep. 4-6. I haven't seen it yet due to a busy schedule, but will be going to see it in a few hours.

The_Edge said:
That would imply that there is something wrong with the previous episodes…which there is not. Episode I is especially brilliant and a masterpiece.
Cough, cough!

flat-top said:
So ALL the bad guys are Boba Fett??? mmmhmmm.......
Wouldn't that bee offsprings of Jango Fett (Boba's Dad). Boba was a one off.

flat-top

"Wouldn't that bee offsprings of Jango Fett (Boba's Dad). Boba was a one off"
Well, Boba is actually a clone of Jango, not his offspring, so Jango/ Boba are one in the same. I think Lucas was catering to all the fanboys who were pissed at how stupidy Boba was killed off in Jedi. "You like Boba Fett, ok, now EVERYONE is Boba Fett!"
flat-top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24