Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

starched bibs??

Armitage

New in Town
OK i dont really know where to post this but I think I will stick it in here.. if its wrong I am sure a mod will move it.

I am trying to find a starched BIB fron shirt. I have NO idea what they are actually called! but the sort of thing when there was not really a WHOLE shirt JUST A BIB type thing that LOOKED like a shirt under the dinner jacket? I have looked everywhere for a reference or anywhere I could get one from. please can some one help on what these are ACTUALLY called and where I might be able to get one from at all.. thanks SO much -

joe

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is still a shirt.

They called it that because the heavy part that shows is shaped like a bib, but it is attached to a whole shirt.

Usually with a u-shaped bottom on the bib part, that corresponds to the curve of the vest over it.

The bib shirt, vest and tie are also known as "soup and fish"!

Suitable

New in Town
That false shirt front is known as a dickey. It is still worn with a shirt; one does not wear the waistcoat and tailcoat next to one's skin. Typically the dickey is buttoned to the trousers so that it will not pop out of position.

The dickey, frequently made of plastic, is a cheap substitute for a proper formal shirt, which must be boiled, starched, and pressed at considerable expense and trouble. Like most cheap substitutes, it falls well short of the real thing. But the difficulty of finding a laundry competent to handle stiff-front shirts these days is considerable, even in large cities. I wear stiff collars less often than I would like, precisely because it is so difficult to get them laundered properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97