Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Steak & Kidney Pudding"

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I called the Britania cafe, here in the Swan River Colony to order a steak & Kidney Pud, seems they are "behind" making them and wont have any till next weekend, i jumped on to the internet machine and ordered two frey bentos puddings, and a can of oxtail soup, from blighty, imagine my horror:rage: when they invoiced my for over $100.00!!!!! I quickly cancelled the order, and the chap was very appologetic about the cost of mailing said pud!, will have to wait for Britania cafe to catch up, or get the Delia Smith cookbook out"

Steak-and-kidney-pie-Rosemary-Shrag-46244460-6e95-416c-bbad-ecb06aff5848.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Make your own, far better than any pre-made thing, and by the sounds of it a bloody sight cheaper!

My dear old Mum made the best steak and kidney pud.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
LordBest said:
By a strange coincidence I have been preparing to cook up the old S and K myself, I follow this recipe:
http://greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/re...om_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=1016
Quite a lot of effort but it really is rather good.

"Thanks Lord Best i like that recipe and I could use my slow cooker for the steaming, also like the recipe for tripe a la Onions, and Tripe is only $10.00 a kilo, Dame Phylis is always reminiscing about tripe and onions in the slums of the east end in the 1930's I may make a "Food Parcel" up for her"

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Care to translate, for those of us on this side of the Pond? I know, a Yorkshire pudding, is more of a side dish, than a dessert. What exactly is a Kidney Pudding?

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Lone_Ranger said:
Care to translate, for those of us on this side of the Pond? I know, a Yorkshire pudding, is more of a side dish, than a dessert. What exactly is a Kidney Pudding?
Yorkshire puddings were/are traditionally a starter...well they are served with onion gravy on ur main dish, while the meat was being carved , when youd finished you go get meat and rest of the meal with any spare puddings.
if i remember right ,they were served this way to fill the family up before the meat/main so keeping cost down and the small meat etc portions enough!.....
thats what i was told any way...Im a Yorkshire Lass by birth.xx

steak and kidney pudding is the best!!
and home made is the beast...although theres some prebought ones that look like Binkies pic... (in the army catering corp there nickname is "babies heads")
its basically a savoury pie(cobbler) filling of steak and kidney braised (broiled) that is cooled and put into a suet pastry casing, it was/is usually made in a deep pudding basin that is lined in the suet pastry and steamed when needed ! http://www.millyskitchen.co.nz/inde...me&orderdir=asc&currentrow=45&sitemode=normal

Very Traditional Englis fare....esp in the past as cheap cuts of meat were used , and steaming meant covering the whole basin in cloth (tea towels were used tied at the top) put in a pan of boilting water, lid on and leave simmering....great aid to time management for housewifes as they could do other chores till the old man got home..!
http://www.essentially-england.com/steak-and-kidney-pudding.html

as well as being a yorkshire lass im especially interested in cookery history as a chef..xx

p.s Blinkie EXCELLANT choice on the oxtail soup as a gravy....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot