Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steaming a Fez?

Doh!

One Too Many
Is it possible to reshape a fez? I just got one over the internet and I think it might fit if it weren't so stiff -- because it's a perfect circle and my big, Irish skull isn't, it just keeps springing off the top. The felt is covering some sort of cardboard, I think.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Or where to get a larger, softer fez for the big-headed gentleman? I ordered their biggest one.

Thanks

Topper

Vendor
Steaming is for 'soft' hats, the felt gives somewhat in order to stretch.

A carboard liner makes the Fez a hard shell hat, and hence has different methods of control, whilst still a fiberous material, steaming may allow you to conform the "shape" but not really the "size". Though due to the nature of pulp in the cardboard more that likely will just break of do it too much. ( considering the cheapness of the hat, then also would doubt has very good quality material!)

As with most hard shells, toppers, pith, boaters, e.t.c One really needs to get correct size.

Doh!

One Too Many
OldSkoolFrat said:

No, I just want a fez for an upcoming trip...

Topper:
Thanks for the reply. I think it just might be too small. I got a haircut yesterday, and it still won't fit. I can get it onto my head a little better now but it's pretty tight and would probabaly give me a headache after awhile.

I got the largest one that the below site carries; it's very reasonably priced but small. Does anyone know of any other vendors out there?

http://www.turkishcorner.com/fez-hat-caf00001.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner