Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stepping back in to the 40's in public I need your help please!

Louise Anne

Suspended
Stepping back in to the 40's in public I need your help please!

I want to go into a friends vintage shop to try on some 40's hats ,Clearly i want to have a 40's feel to my look, however I do not want to become too much of a talking point ( comment that you get when you wear vintage) lol
as I walk to the shop and from it I just want a good balance.

This is the starting point for my 40's look

My question are:-

a) which blouse ?
the coloured one or the white on in the photo below
or option 3 the one in the bottom photo?

b) should I wear poop toes or my Mary Jane shoes.

c) Tan or Black stocking. ( they wll be seamed (OMG my first time in public with seams )

40.jpg

or this blouse which is not strickly vintage but I thought it had the right feel to it
DSC_9169copy.jpg

Any thought will be very much approciated.
Thank you

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
It all looks lovely, and not costumey at all. I vote for the printed blouse and mary janes, just because they're what I'd like to wear. Black stockings would pull the colors together nicely, but would also have a more formal/evening wear look, so maybe stick with the tan ones if you want that extra little bit of not being noticed. Be sure to show us the hat you end up with, and good luck getting those seams straight. ;)

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
hello sweetie!!!! I would suggest the second blouse,beige stockings with closed toed shoes, and don't be afraid to get a hit that's a bit more out there :) you can pull it off easily :) have fun deary!!!!! :)

lframe

One of the Regulars
Number 3, Mary Janes and tan stockings. Love the combo! Both pairs of shoes are fabulous, but Mary Janes hold a special place in my heart. (Even though I wear peep toes more often!)

JennieWren

Familiar Face
My vote is the white blouse, (though they are all beautiful, and you will look fabulous no matter which one you choose!), tan stockings and the mary-janes.
You look great!

Louise Anne

Suspended
Thank you all for your advise,
Sorry I can not spell lol,
I can walk in my Mary Jane better so I pleased that they get the thumbs up..
I will post a photo of what ever I buy hat wise.

Louise Anne

Suspended
This is the handbage I bought yeasterday.
The photo is from the shop ownes web site , I have not had time to take my own , it matches the jacket perfectly, I also bought a black felt hat (Photo to follow)
Image5-2.jpg

I also had awonder around the modern shops for a hour, I did not here any comments made about wearing seamed stocking or my slighlty vintage look which was nice.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
That aubergine colour looks fantastic on you Paul! Cute Cuban heels too ;) You've got great legs.

When your hair gets a little longer, why don't you try going full 40s and doing victory rolls?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
That's a lovely hat, and not funny at all. I know what you mean though, about feeling funny in them, and I think it has to do with context. We're so used to seeing hats on period women with fully-done hair - every end perfectly curled out of sight and all that. At least that's why I feel strange in any hat other than a cloche, although I'm trying to train my eye to accept the sight of my grandmother's 40s, 50s hats on my less-than-glamorous hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy