Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sterling wear sizing

Anthony Rice

New in Town
Hi guys.

I'm eager to buy a sterling wear Navigator. I'm a 36 chest so I guess ill go for a size 36???. But the most confusing thing is the lengthening I'm exactly 6ft tall So do I qualify for Regular or Long? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge, Anthony. Civilian peacoats aren't within my area of specialization, but there are some tips on sizing in the Peacoat Dating thread, which is in a sticky at the top of this page. The sizing section is toward the end of the article.

You will need to see if Sterlingwear will give you the pit to pit measurement on the Navigator, and go from there. The Sterlingwear Authentic has the same P2P as the issue coats, so they are easy to size. Not sure about the Navigator.

The regular size should be the proper length.

Anthony Rice

New in Town
Well I do wish to get the Authentic actually, prefer the price. I'm a 36 size chest on my Lewis leather jackets.. great fit. If I was to purchase a Sterlingwear Authentic would I just choose the 36R or opt for a 34R/L for a slim fit. I've heard many things about people sizing down often with them. Btw I'm a slim person, I sometimes even have to buy XS SIZE shirts at times :(. I guess I should eat more sandwiches.

Peacoat

Bartender
Well I do wish to get the Authentic actually, prefer the price. I'm a 36 size chest on my Lewis leather jackets.. great fit. If I was to purchase a Sterlingwear Authentic would I just choose the 36R or opt for a 34R/L for a slim fit. I've heard many things about people sizing down often with them. Btw I'm a slim person, I sometimes even have to buy XS SIZE shirts at times :(. I guess I should eat more sandwiches.

Again I say: read the section on sizing in the peacoat sticky. Never depend on the size of another manufacturer to get a good fit from any other manufacturer. Take your actual chest measurement. Obtain the p2p on the peacoat you are considering so you will know what the actual chest size really is.

The sizing section is on the last page. Remember, I am talking about vintage issue coats in the article.

If you want a slim fit, you might consider going down one size, using the instructions for a proper fit in the sizing section. Here is the link:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

Peacoat

Bartender
If your chest measurement is 36" and you are 6' tall, then you will need a long size. If you go below a 36, then a long size isn't going be enough. A 36 long may not be long enough. I have some size 34 shorts and regulars that my wife wears. They fit her. She is 5' 4'' and 120 lbs. But she is filled out.

You need to realize these peacoats aren't made for young men who haven't yet filled out. You will have this problem irrespective of the type of outerwear you are trying to size. As you get older, and put on weight, peacoats and other jackets and coats will actually fit you. Right now, they are probably just hanging on your thin frame. That will all change with time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany