Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Chatham

Blackjack

One Too Many
Howdy neighbors!
Big question for you fellas. I just purchased a Stetson Chatham fedora from Miller hats and am a little perplexed. Inside the hat it says Stetson Soverign not Chatham and I thought this was a snap brim hat. Can it be "made" into a snap brim? I like the hat only because it was the only one I could find in a Sage color to match my coat. I can return it for a swap and they carry Dobbs, Stetson, ect... any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Style: 006 "Chatham Hat"
Material: Smooth Finish Fur Felt
Brim: 2 3/8"
Crown: 3 3/4" Front 3 5/8" Back
Band: 1 1/16" Grograin Band
Colors: Sage (shown), Gray, Brown,
Black, Tawny (Tan)
Sizes: 6 3/4 - 7 3/4
Price: $105.00
Shipping Category: Dress Hats

This looks like a fedora snap brim to me. The "Chatham" is likely their "catalog name" and has nothing to do with Stetson. Their way of easily identifying the hat for mail order customers.

Good job on the hat! Is this your first?

Blackjack

One Too Many
No, I have a Biltmore Royal Sonata in a light grey that I wouldn't live without. When I bought that one the brim snapped down perfectly. The jurys still out on this one, I guess it does "snap" down but only straight out. What the best way to get the brim to come down farther without ruining the hat?

Tyto

New in Town
'Jack:

I, too, just bought a Stetson Chatham last week. It is definitely a snap brim, and mine trends downward, rather than straight out. You might try turning the brim from further towards the back of the crown.

The "Soveriegn" refers to the quality level of the hat--it's ostensibly Stetson's top level for fedoras.

Best regards,

---Tyto

Michael D

Familiar Face
Possible solution to snap brim problem

You guys may all freak at this suggestion but have you tried steam-ironing the brim? I have done it to my hats. You'll need to use a cloth between the hat and the iron. It doesn't take much.

I just bought an Akubra Squatter that had the same problem, snap brim just didn't go down enough. I used the iron on it and voila the brim is down now.

Mike :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy