Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson hat nutria fur 7 1/8 to 7/14

Wilki

New in Town
I am putting up for sale my cowboy hat, I inherited it from my dad in 1979, he had said it was his great uncles, i'm not sure how old it is and cannot find any dates on the inside of the sweat band,nor are there any tags, it was always a round top until I had it professionally reconditioned in 1980 by a hat co. in SLC, UT. I don't remember the name. The liner is not original and could be easily removed if you wanted to.The brim is 3 3/4" and the crown 6 1/4', the size is not inside but measures 22 1/4", the only # stamped on the sweat band is ( I think) B228042, it's hard to read, I have not been able to find any other hat that has this exact logo, IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0952.JPG https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-St...448717?hash=item2ac7b97d8d:g:K60AAOSw19dckYEg

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Post a pic of the sweat crest!

It’s a great hat, from what I read on a google search of the Lounge for “ Real Nutria” pics up quite a few comments. This hat, for example, is not the same model but close.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-real-nutria-fur-antique-western-hat-1920s.81700/

I personally would not make any predictions on price, there are too many variables in eBay sales. But you’ve got a beautiful hat there, black is not a common color, Real Nutria is a great Stetson felt, folks should be very interested!

Wilki

New in Town
Post a pic of the sweat crest!

It’s a great hat, from what I read on a google search of the Lounge for “ Real Nutria” pics up quite a few comments. This hat, for example, is not the same model but close.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-real-nutria-fur-antique-western-hat-1920s.81700/

I personally would not make any predictions on price, there are too many variables in eBay sales. But you’ve got a beautiful hat there, black is not a common color, Real Nutria is a great Stetson felt, folks should be very interested!

Wilki

New in Town
Thanks for the pics that one does look close. I'll post a pic of the sweat crest if you will educate me on what it is.

The mark above is from one of several Stetson Real Nutria Fur hats I have owned. The imprint on your hat is inkless, but the same. It was likely sold in the mid to late 1920s. The liner (as you advise) is a replacement - I would guess the ribbon too but I can't see it clearly from your photos. Measurements might suggest whether the brim was cut down in rennovation. A photo taken against a background other than white would likely provide a better exposure of the black felt. If you check the back side of the sweatband (carefully) towards the front of the hat, you will likely find a large LOTXXXX stamp imprint. My guess is in the 4XXX range (all of mine have been) but if you could confirm, that would be great. It could be a help in confirming the era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112