Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Open Road Royal DeLuxe 1940s - Size 7 3/8

mingoslim

Practically Family
“The ‘Open Road’ represents journeys of self-discovery, quests to define our national identity, opportunities to escape from the daily routine, and expressions of social protest-The image of The ‘Open Road’ that prevailed 100 years ago, when footloose armies of homeless created a network of rowdy ''hobohemias'' across the country, made the first protest march on Washington and captured the public imagination as a rugged vanguard of radical unionism are now largely forgotten. Remember Woody Guthrie?
”The American road narrative has been a significant and popular literary & cinimatic genre for decades. Romance of the Road captures America's love affair with roads, cars, travel, speed, and the lure of open spaces. With roots reaching back to quest romance and pilgrimage, the myth of the American highway explores our diverse and often conflicted cultural values. In 1893, the eminent historian Frederick Jackson Turner opined "For a moment, at the frontier, the bonds of custom are broken and unrestraint is triumphant". The "Open Road" was something which created a physical link between that which was civilized and established, and that which was not.”
Rick Blaine, 2006

No truer words were ever spoken . . . and the spirit of the Open Road was truly caught by Stetson when they created the Open Road, a classic hat that blended the sophistication of the east, with the wilds of the American West . . . This hat has adorned the heads of ranchers, bankers, celebrities and Presidents for over 60 years.

So here we have a nice, and very early Stetson Open Road. This vintage Royal Deluxe has a fedora block and I think it dates from the late 1940s . . .

The hat is a classic silverbelly, made with a nice, soft and buttery Beaver fur felt . . . and in the hard to find size 7 3/8.

It has 2 ¾ inch snap brim with a bound edge, and a 5 inch crown with a narrow 3/8 inch grosgrain ribbon around the crown. The felt is in excellent condition . . . There are no tears, stains, or moth bites mar to this beauty . . . The inside lining is clean and white.

hat - stetson 50s or 01.jpg hat - stetson 50s or 02.jpg hat - stetson 50s or 03.jpg hat - stetson 50s or 04.jpg hat - stetson 50s or 05.jpg hat - stetson 50s or 06.jpg

BUT THERE IS A DOWNSIDE . . . The sweatband is shot. Not just old . . . not just loose . . . it is dead! But that is the reason I am willing to let this one go for only $145, including shipping in the CONUS.

hat - stetson 50s or 07a.jpg

And, being the nice guy I am . . . I am willing to make you a deal. If you choose, you can take it as is for $145 . . . or choose the box the lovely Carol Merrill is showing you :)

For an extra $50, I will take the hat to have a new sweat put in and a general refurbishment by the inestimable Gus Miller of Batsakes in Cincinnati Ohio, one of the last of the true haberdashers in the US. Last time I had this donw, he installed a new 1 3/4 inch brown leather sweatband that was really high quality!

I will save you the leg work, and I know there are plenty of places today that are not lucky enough to have a first-rate haberdasher nearby . . .

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Interested

If that hat is as nice as it looks, I am interested. How long would it take to get the sweat installed? I am going to be in MI for a month, and actually will bew in southern Ohio end of july for 10 days. let me know.

mingoslim

Practically Family
It is a nice one . . . I suspect that Gus Miller will take about two weeks, based on past practice . . . But if you are interested, I am sure we can work something out.
SLim

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I read that thread, and wish I lived closeer to Cinci..still may have to swing by on vacation. hey slim, thanks for the good deal on a fine looking hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran