Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Straw Ovals

jkingrph

Practically Family
I was looking at some of the higher grade western Stetson straw hats and it seems as though all are only offered in round oval. Any idea why. I need a regular or better a long oval, and long's are hard to find. I was looking at an El Jefe, and one dealer said it was regular, but did not allow returns so I passed. I tried a round oval a few years back and it just seemed to pinch my forehead and not contact the sides at all.

Who?

Practically Family
I was looking at some of the higher grade western Stetson straw hats and it seems as though all are only offered in round oval. Any idea why. I need a regular or better a long oval, and long's are hard to find. I was looking at an El Jefe, and one dealer said it was regular, but did not allow returns so I passed. I tried a round oval a few years back and it just seemed to pinch my forehead and not contact the sides at all.
There are rumblings of a newly-formed Fedora Lounge Long Oval Club.

I think all you have to do is declare yourself a member.

There are rumblings of a newly-formed Fedora Lounge Long Oval Club.

I think all you have to do is declare yourself a member.
When Stetson labels a hat an Oval I am pretty sure they are indicating a Regular Oval. Most men are either Reg Oval or Long Oval or something in between the two (Ovoid shaped). In my hatting experience I have never encountered a Full Oval and only 1 Extra Long Oval. It is harder to fit a stiffer western felt or straw but if you go with a cloth sweated and softer Panama there is a better chance it will conform to the shape of your head.

Who?

Practically Family
I just determined that the difference between my length and width measurements is somewhere around 1 and 1/2 to 1 and 5/8 inches, so I am some sort of oval.

Perhaps I could be called an Oval, but not Long Oval, a “sort of oval“.

I think I like “ovoid” for the intermediate shape, as suggested by belfastboy above.

Last edited:
I just determined that the difference between my length and width measurements is somewhere around 1 and 1/2 to 1 and 5/8 inches, so I am some sort of oval.

Perhaps I could be called an Oval, but not Long Oval, a “sort of oval“.

I think I like “ovoid” for the intermediate shape, as suggested by belfastboy above.
When I traced the shape of my head....somewhat taken aback. It is decidedly ovoid or egg shaped. So the back of my head is RegOval while the brown is LongOval. But the LO hats fit me so much better than the RO's.

When I traced the shape of my head....somewhat taken aback. It is decidedly ovoid or egg shaped. So the back of my head is RegOval while the brown is LongOval. But the LO hats fit me so much better than the RO's.

I've never had my head conformateured, but seeing others' they look more like a Rorschach test than an oval. Thank goodness for leather sweats.

I've never had my head conformateured, but seeing others' they look more like a Rorschach test than an oval. Thank goodness for leather sweats.
The Cowboy Hat Book showed outlines from the Stetson files of many President's heads.......not sure if they are representative of the general population cuz there are lots of very very weird shapes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112