Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stopping dye bleeding/dye transfer from my leather jacket's belt?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Beeswax!
IMG_4506.JPG

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I'm noticing this jacket is now bleeding even more from other areas, like the collar now, and it's bleeding into my shirts. I don't understand, as this is a Schott Perfecto jacket and supposed to be very high quality, yet it's bleeding like this. I've had this jacket for a few years now without issues, now suddenly this is happening, and I don't understand why, it's not like I got the jacket soaked in a rainstorm or something.

Does anyone know the best way to apply resolene to a jacket that is bleeding this much? Do I put it on a rag and use that to wipe the jacket down with a coat of the stuff, will that help to stop this?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm noticing this jacket is now bleeding even more from other areas, like the collar now, and it's bleeding into my shirts. I don't understand, as this is a Schott Perfecto jacket and supposed to be very high quality, yet it's bleeding like this. I've had this jacket for a few years now without issues, now suddenly this is happening, and I don't understand why, it's not like I got the jacket soaked in a rainstorm or something.

Does anyone know the best way to apply resolene to a jacket that is bleeding this much? Do I put it on a rag and use that to wipe the jacket down with a coat of the stuff, will that help to stop this?

Did you ever contact Schott about it, like I have suggested?

Observe

One Too Many
I had a leather jacket do this once and I contacted the maker who exchanged it for a new jacket. The new jacket did not have the same problem. May be some issue with the dye sealing.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

You can actually do nothing and the bleeding will eventually stop. It's just hot and cold change and dye gets pushed through the fibers, and unfortunate bleeding. Just wear dark clothing for a while and then you're good to go. When the season change or when I bring jackets out of cold storage it takes a few wears to acclimatize. I never wear light color clothing with leather. Laundry days gets easier when clothing are darker too.

Applying Resolene will make your jacket a bit more squeaky than stock. Same thing with Angelus acrylic paint. If you're really gonna apply a coating, I'd just go with the Angelus black paint. It will make the jacket look new.

This is how Himel does it:

This is how I did it, with a small paint roller and small paint tray, if you can paint a wall you can paint a jacket,

I feel like the easiest thing is to leave it and give it a few brush here and there and wear with darker clothing for a few wears and this will be behind you. Apply a new coating is really to change the color or to refurbish back to like new setting so to speak, you will lose all the patina that you've gained and start from zero again.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Again, the first thing he should have done is contact Schott.

These are all valid things to bring up after someone has gone that route, or if it's a vintage jacket or something.

The support/repairs team is really good at standing by their stuff.

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Again, the first thing he should have done is contact Schott.

These are all valid things to bring up after someone has gone that route, or if it's a vintage jacket or something.

The support/repairs team is really good at standing by their stuff.

Ok, I tried contacting them, but all they said to me was to buff it with a wet cloth and it might stop. They seemed uninterested and generally unhelpful. Thank you for the suggestion though. I sorta figured I'm probably just going to need to deal with it as part of owning this jacket. One thing, if the dye should get into any of my black clothes, could it cross transfer to other lighter clothes I wear? Can the dye get onto my car seats? That's something I do worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner