Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Storing An A-2

SSuperDave

New in Town
I live in Houston TX, where jacket weather is 3 months, tops. Its already over 80 here and I'll not be needing my A-2 til at least Halloween. What is the best way to store it over the warm months? Its an older Schott horsehide. Something tells me that a hangar is probably not the best place for it
Thanks!

Peacoat

Bartender
Some of those very wide (2"-3") hangers, would be OK. I have a bunch of those, maybe 15 or so, but I put my peacoats on them. For the leather jackets, I just throw them on the floor of a walk in closet in an out of the way area. The closet is, of course, moth protected.

If you think the leather deserves more respect, then you could gently lay them out on the floor. By storing this way, you won't have any hanger "drape" when you are ready to wear next year.

There was a prior thread on this topic several months ago, but I don't have the time right now to do a search for it.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peacoat said:
Some of those very wide (2"-3") hangers, would be OK. I have a bunch of those, maybe 15 or so, but I put my peacoats on them. For the leather jackets, I just throw them on the floor of a walk in closet in an out of the way area. The closet is, of course, moth protected.

If you think the leather deserves more respect, then you could gently lay them out on the floor. By storing this way, you won't have any hanger "drape" when you are ready to wear next year.

There was a prior thread on this topic several months ago, but I don't have the time right now to do a search for it.

Makes all the sense in the world. Thanks Peacoat. :)

Wil Tam

Practically Family
cool!

great info here ... I hate that dreaded hanger bump on shirts that had not be worn in a while ... I usually just hand wash the shirt then press it.

I have some 23" wide wood hangers that I use for my heavier coats & jackets.

23natsuit.jpg

Laying down flat in the corner of the closet is cool, but I just don't have the space in my walk in for that, folding them then putting them on the shelf is not feasible either because of shoe & hat boxes [huh]​

SSuperDave

New in Town
A-2 Storage

Thanks for the ideas, I think I'll lay it flat under the bed in the spare room with a blanket over it to keep the dust off. I hate the hanger bumps too!

Wil Tam

Practically Family
SSuperDave said:
Thanks for the ideas, I think I'll lay it flat under the bed in the spare room with a blanket over it to keep the dust off. I hate the hanger bumps too!

no pets right? because leather would be a nice snack for them, if you don't put it in a secure area ;) ... get a garment bag if you put it under the bed... just sayn' [huh]

Peacoat

Bartender
Not only pets that chew the leather, but moths will feast on the woolen parts of the jackets--cuffs, waistband, etc.--unless in a moth protected environment.

Jimmy B.

New in Town
If you need to hang it, perhaps a hanger like motorcycle jackets come on. The ones I have are wide (3"+) and longer than the usual hangers.
I like the closet idea myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy