Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange Shinki Horsehide smell?

Infinitum

A-List Customer
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a gently used and fairly rare jacket made from Shinki horsehide. When it arrived I noticed right away a pretty strong odor, which at first smell reminded me of some kind of cologne or perfume? I asked the seller, a longtime member here, and he said that he doesn't use cologne and that it was potentially his detergent that transferred from his shirts that he wore with the jacket, or the shinki leather itself.

That was a few days ago, and the smell is still strong, even after the jacket has spent 48 hours or so hanging outside. The interior of the jacket doesn't really smell at all, but the leather itself does, which makes me think it's the shinki leather itself and not a transfer from detergent/washed clothing.

I did some research and read that this particular leather is tanned with mimosa bark, which can have a unique and astringent odor. I would probably agree that this is the kind of smell I'm smelling, but I'm not sure. It's driving me a bit crazy to be honest.

My next step may be to use a small ozone machine and lock the jacket and it in a large plastic bag for an hour or two.

Any ideas?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a gently used and fairly rare jacket made from Shinki horsehide. When it arrived I noticed right away a pretty strong odor, which at first smell reminded me of some kind of cologne or perfume? I asked the seller, a longtime member here, and he said that he doesn't use cologne and that it was potentially his detergent that transferred from his shirts that he wore with the jacket, or the shinki leather itself.

That was a few days ago, and the smell is still strong, even after the jacket has spent 48 hours or so hanging outside. The interior of the jacket doesn't really smell at all, but the leather itself does, which makes me think it's the shinki leather itself and not a transfer from detergent/washed clothing.

I did some research and read that this particular leather is tanned with mimosa bark, which can have a unique and astringent odor. I would probably agree that this is the kind of smell I'm smelling, but I'm not sure. It's driving me a bit crazy to be honest.

My next step may be to use a small ozone machine and lock the jacket and it in a large plastic bag for an hour or two.

Any ideas?
Shinki smells quite strong when new. It even transferred onto my shirts. But the smell fades after a few months. Now half a year later it hardly smells at all.

I like how it smells btw. I'm not good at describing any odor, but I would say it has some fresh citrus undertones.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
When I first received my Himel Heron Shinki I thought it smelled weird. I left it outside for a few days, and it didn't change. I have since grown to enjoy the smell. My GW Arcadia Shinki also has a fairly strong sweet smell that I quite like, thought it is not as strong as the Heron.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
When I first received my Himel Heron Shinki I thought it smelled weird.
Did it smell fishy? :p
6EA02A8B-1BFE-4537-8BCC-796C9DD73BDF.jpeg

I’ve only had one shinki jacket and few wool RMC with shinki bits. No odor that I can remember. CXL on the other hand, makes me want to eat a steak.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have a used Shinki A-2 purchased from a forum member. I admit to really enjoying the scent, however I must admit that due to not knowing if the smell is the leather itself or the “musk” or storing conditions of the previous owner, I’m a bit hesitant to really put my nose into it and have lengthy sniff sessions with it.

it’s a very cedary, wood smell

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Not all Shinki smells the same. IMO
My RMC has this very strong cedary/flowery smell that still remains after a few years.
My Freewheelers Shinki had a faint woody smell that disappeard quickly.
My Diamond Dave Shinki never really smelled of anything special, just a faint leather smell.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
are you guys sure the smell is coming from the tannery, or perhaps the maker of the jacket lather it with carnauba wax or some leather lotion after they finish the jacket to give some sheen and nice smell. I have used leather lotion with citrus smell, and currently I use another brand now that smell woody, carnauba wax also smell nice. from what Carlos said seems like this smell is connected to the jacket maker than the tannery.

last time when I bought a local nat veg tan cowhide directly from a tannery, the first thing I did when the leather arrive was sniffing at it, and it has no smell whatsoever, this vegtan is odorless, after I applied some lotion, and wax, since veg tan is quite absorbent, it is smelling much nicer.

Last edited:
I also like the Shinki smell that came with my jacket, but if it is somehow a different smell you are experiencing then Yes, the ozone machine should work. I usually spray used jackets with a vinegar and water mix (1:1) and spray inside and out. I hang it outside for a few days, and the bad smells usually fade. Wool liners tend to smell like easter eggs for awhile though. I recently got one that the stench lingered...I washed it and that worked. Others have used the ozone machines with success.

Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
^ the vinegar trick works

I don't understand how it would drive you crazy, it must be some kind of different odor because shinki has a divine smell that I don't see anyone finding objectionable.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
do you condition after vinegar? I mean, it's literally acid ;) I always worry about that kind of stuff.

Once I had I think some powdery mildew on an old jacket. Saw a bunch of DYI stuff with vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda. Ultimately I used some diluted rubbing alcohol, put it in the sun for a few days. But then afterwards I hit it with some conditioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo