Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratton campaign hat felt

Pat_H

A-List Customer
What is the felt makeup for Stratton campaign hats, such as their Park Service hat?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's good to know. I"ve been considering a Straw campaign hat or trooper hat because they're relatively cheap and they come in 7 3/8 Long Oval.

Later

Stratton is also the parent company of Ozark Hat Company.

Hey ... I know that place. Previously one of the Langenberg Hat factories. My Mom taught school in the same town (St. Elizabeth, Missouri). Here is a pic of my Dad in 1986 selling straw hats at the St. Thomas the Apostle (in St. Thomas, Missouri where they lived) church fundraiser. I have no doubt that the hats were from the Ozark Hat Company. $3.00? I should have bought them all!

upload_2020-9-3_21-2-1.png

To keep it somewhat on topic. I don't have a Stratton felt, but I do have a couple of their "trooper" style straws.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Stratton owns Winchester Felt.... the bodies for Stratton are made in Tennessee.
Sometimes Strattons need for felt is the reason Winchesters supply is low.
The bodies are a various mix of beaver/rabbit/nutria.
Thanks!

Reactions: RBH
Any owner opinion on the felt and/or the overall product of the Stratton felt trooper style hats?

I own a few. The felt is thick and very firm. They are made for a specific purpose and they work well for that purpose. They are rugged outdoors hats, but they are not good candidates for conversion to a fedora. They make good hiking and fishing hats.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi
I agree, I bought one at Levin's in StL years ago. It was a 7 3/8 Wide Oval and didn't fit for crap cause I'm a Long Oval. It was also about $25.00 at the most. I gave it away to a guy at a Scout event. Well made hat but I thought that the plastic grommets for the straps et al were a bit on the el cheapo side.
Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112