Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

straw fedoras

EyemoEd

New in Town
looking for one - 40's style.
I can find bunches on the internet but they hover around $100 US.
Is there anywhere that has them for a more reasonable price?
thanks
-edg

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I'm not quite certain what 1940s style you have in mind, but this $65 handwoven Ecuadoran specimen from David Morgan pictured and described here http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1319 seems like a good buy.

While I cannot personally vouch for this Panama, I have done much business with DM over the years and have found all its products to be of top quality with reasonable prices--and outstanding service, as well. Standard shipping and handling is only $8, with delivery in 2 to 3 days.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
AlterEgo said:
I'm not quite certain what 1940s style you have in mind, but this $65 handwoven Ecuadoran specimen from David Morgan pictured and described here http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1319 seems like a good buy.

While I cannot personally vouch for this Panama, I have done much business with DM over the years and have found all its products to be of top quality with reasonable prices--and outstanding service, as well. Standard shipping and handling is only $8, with delivery in 2 to 3 days.

I have one, and it is a good hat. Their delivery times are great, too. It came in less than two days. The only problem I had with it was that the brim wanted to keep snapping back up, but just a little bit of steam fixed that easily.

30928_1402515579459_1129412022_1160232_2044373_n.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I just got a new Sunbody that a Lounger compared to a Federation.

I ordered a high open-crown model, had the brim trimmed to 2.5 inches and bound, and had a ribbon put on it at J.J. Hat Center here in NYC (ribbons are decidedly not Sunbody's strength). Total cost: $78, and I can even wear it in the rain.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Straw Fedora StL hat shop

Hi

My Dad is 91 and needs something besides the extremely crappy golf hat he's been gardening in. He's NEVER played a round of golf in his life, and I think only played Putt-Putt twice 30 years ago. Dad is bald, and owned hats when they were still in style wearing a 7 and 1/8th. Mom measured his head and got 22.5 inches which ain't 7 and 1/8th. I'd like to get him a decent straw hat to wear in the yard and during the 4th of July celebration in my home town. We live hear enough to Saint Louis to hit Beaver Brands, Levine hat shop, Henschel Manufacturing Co, and Deaner's Original Hat Shop. Levine's and Henschel's look promising with decent selections of Straw hats on their websites. Deaner's doesn't have a sight, and Beaver brand is mainly fur and wool felt. Beaver brand is also the furthest from Illinois...

Does anyone have any personal experience with these guys with respect to straw hats? I'm hesitant to buy him a hat off the net since I'm not sure about his size.

Springfield Illinois is much closer to home but I don't know of a hat shop of any kind in Springfield and nothing is mentioned online. Chicago is about 250 miles away, StL is 60. I also ordered an At The Front Daisy Mae for him to wear gardening since that's what he wore on Fiji, Efate, Wallis Island, and Guadalcanal (1945).

Later

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I did a search on just Levine and got a LOT better results. "Levine Hat shop" gets most instances of Hat also. I'll probably go there unless I get a BETTER recommendation. It's close, but not in what appears to be a bad area of Saint Louis. Anyplace with 30K hats should have something to sell us.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran