Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw for someone who sweats heavily

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I highly recommend the Akubra Capricorn. I have a few straws, but don't wear them much. The polystraw Capricorn is superior if caught in rain, a better all-round hat imo. Not to mention significantly cheaper than a better straw. Never had a problem with sweat stains on one of these.

This is the fawn colour:

100_1062_zps86c820ed.jpg

I also have the grey. I'd buy one in copper if I saw it.

Interesting. How are those in the rain?

Light shower does not seem to be bad like drizzle in summer. Harder rain I just put up the $10 portable umbrella I carry in my bag. The hemp Capricorn resists hard wear and flopping.

Edward

Bartender
Light shower does not seem to be bad like drizzle in summer. Harder rain I just put up the $10 portable umbrella I carry in my bag. The hemp Capricorn resists hard wear and flopping.

I'm intrigued by those - I might try one. My go to all-rounder or travelling in all extremes is the Akubra Riverina, but it's not really one that works so well with most f my suits.

carldelo

One Too Many
The Capricorn is listed as having a 60 mm brim, i.e. 2-3/8", mine is almost 2-1/2". The crown height is 4-1/4" IIRC. The Rink is the same in all respects.

Skyvue - Everything Australian had a size 62 Cap made custom for me - maybe they could do the same for size 63. However, before they were sure they could do the bigger size, they had suggested ordering a size 61 with a cloth band which they indicated should be big enough to fit. So you could inquire also about getting a size 62 made with a cloth band that might be big enough to work for you. BTW the size 62 I got is generous in size and has not shrunk one iota since.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I'd have to second Cardelo and Edward on the Akubra polystraws. For several years I tried to make Panamas work for me, but here in Hawaii I need to wear a straw hat essentially year around (though I do break out the felts for a couple of months in 'winter'). But between the brim flopping with the slightest breeze, sweat stains on it, the hat getting out of block with rain showers, etc. I gave up and moved to poly straws.

Cardelo: I really like those new ribbons you've added. I might do that with my Countryclub because the black on it has is really minimalist and the hat would look better with a nicer ribbon.

I've posted these photos on another thread but they do give a good idea of what the hat looks like in action. I find the Capricorn looks better for casual looks and the Countryclub looks ok for dressing up. They both make excellent traveling hats.

Capricorn:
397551741.jpg

397551762.jpg

Countryclub:
403257792.jpg

402971009.jpg

403257820.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Skyvue - Everything Australian had a size 62 Cap made custom for me - maybe they could do the same for size 63. However, before they were sure they could do the bigger size, they had suggested ordering a size 61 with a cloth band which they indicated should be big enough to fit. So you could inquire also about getting a size 62 made with a cloth band that might be big enough to work for you. BTW the size 62 I got is generous in size and has not shrunk one iota since.

Thanks. I'm not crazy about the idea of a cloth band; I have one in my Sunbody and I perspire right through it, staining the hat itself and rendering the ribbon unsightly and in need of annual (at a minimum) replacement.

But I'll see if they can possibly manage to come up with a 63.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Can someone explain to me the practical difference between the Capricorn and the Rink? And are the colors Cream and Natural similar, or is Cream closer to White?

carldelo

One Too Many
Can someone explain to me the practical difference between the Capricorn and the Rink? And are the colors Cream and Natural similar, or is Cream closer to White?

I have both, a Capricorn in gray and a Rink in cream. The dimensions, polystraw and sweatband are identical. As far as I can tell, the difference is that the Capricorn has a patterned ribbon pug, while the Rink ribbon is plain black grosgrain, and is a bit narrower. I bought the cream Rink instead of a fawn Capricorn because I don't like the contrasting brim binding on the tan Capricorn. I think the Cap and the Rink are the same hat offered in different colors and ribbon treatments. The cream color is off-white - I'm not really sure what 'natural' polypropylene is supposed to look like - I haven't seen it in person.

carldelo

One Too Many
Cardelo: I really like those new ribbons you've added. I might do that with my Countryclub because the black on it has is really minimalist and the hat would look better with a nicer ribbon.

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. Believe it or not, the blue/orange ribbon is from a Land's End gift box I received years ago, it turned out to be pretty high-quality Petersham ribbon. The fact that it is also in the NY Mets colors is a happy coincidence (or not, depending on how much the Mets have disappointed you). I've been surprised that the faux-leather sweat band in the Akubra polystraws wicks so much sweat through to the hat body. That ribbon became pretty sweat-stained last summer - luckily you can rinse a polystraw under a running tap without too much worry, so cleaning up the ribbon is no big deal.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I have both, a Capricorn in gray and a Rink in cream. The dimensions, polystraw and sweatband are identical. As far as I can tell, the difference is that the Capricorn has a patterned ribbon pug, while the Rink ribbon is plain black grosgrain, and is a bit narrower. I bought the cream Rink instead of a fawn Capricorn because I don't like the contrasting brim binding on the tan Capricorn. I think the Cap and the Rink are the same hat offered in different colors and ribbon treatments. The cream color is off-white - I'm not really sure what 'natural' polypropylene is supposed to look like - I haven't seen it in person.

Thanks for the info. Odd, given that they're nearly identical hats, that the Rink is offered in so many more large sizes. I'd likely be replacing the ribbon, anyway, so the difference there doesn't bother me.

I wonder if perhaps I could convince them to special order a Rink in Natural. Seems as if that would be doable, if they're basically the same hat -- but then again, if it were doable, they'd probably offer the Capricorn in as many sizes as the Rink, wouldn't they? There must be a reason the Rink's available in so many more large sizes than the Cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner