Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching Cowhide Leather

Gabri

New in Town
@Seb Lucas
I will try to take a picture.:)

@robrinay
ah okay. But from that point of view it would be possible. with a triangle of 1x1x1cm it would not be so bad if the leather is a little different;)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
1cm stretch is small for around a body, just by wearing zipped, combination of stretching from wearing, and flattening of the lining etc, will probably give you a cm of a space, I have a goat jacket that was too tight on my hip when I wear a belt it stacked on my hip a little, so I washed it in washing machine (without detergent), let it drip until half dry, and wear it zipped over jeans and thick belt, now it fits better there permanently, I can even wear thick biker wallet under its kidney panel too which is already more than 1cm thick. just wet it first and wear it zipped maybe over a pants with belt until dry, with time it will ease more, or maybe you lose a bit of weight and the hip fits (which is also not alot).

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
1x1x1 cm is a really small patch. Not sure it will make that much difference.

PS - do what @navetsea says. I have a cowhide jacket that cost me $60 that I was able to lengthen by 2 cm. I washed it in water and hung it while still wet. I got my 2 cm in length, but the jacket is now out of shape. For $60, I don't care.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
if you want to cut open the side, then instead of putting a strip of most likely mismatched leather, install a pair of zipper instead

Gabri

New in Town
if you want to cut open the side, then instead of putting a strip of most likely mismatched leather, install a pair of zipper instead

Wow , thats a great Idea
and that works? getting more space

Edit:
P.S. although, that must be really strong zippers. I can imagine that when moving, getting into the car etc., going open or broken....

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
cZMLA5s.jpg

Works (for me)to accomodate thicker wallet, slide up a bit. Just like zipped cuff

I just use #5 YKK there, antigued brass, it might scratch your car door frame same with type3 metal button waist tab adjuster, might scratch car paint when you get into car in hurry like when parking next to busy traffic:D

or you can install the zipper on the side seam, but that might scratch the inside of your sleeve as you walk unless the zipper teeth is covered with a lip or made recessed.

Last edited:

SinSir

A-List Customer
As others have said stretching can happen but tearing a lining can too. I agree sometimes its forming to the body more than stretching. I have a jacket I bought that I couldn't turn down the deal knowing it would probably be too tight. It was and still is. Works well for riding but leisure not so much. I got it to stretch and form but the lining tore. It still doesn't fit how I'd like it to, but I dig the jacket anyway.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Wow , thats a great Idea

Edit:
P.S. although, that must be really strong zippers. I can imagine that when moving, getting into the car etc., going open or broken....

Good idea - lots of jackets have 4 to 5 inch zips at the side. Best place for them is following the seam at each side. A zip is plenty strong enough.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Wow , thats a great Idea

Edit:
Oh you mean the zipper broke, no way
Ask for
Metal zipper #4 or #5, auto lock slider

I thought you mean will it scratch your car lol,.... it will

Gabri

New in Town
Good idea - lots of jackets have 4 to 5 inch zips at the side. Best place for them is following the seam at each side. A zip is plenty strong enough.
Oh you mean the zipper broke, no way
Ask for
Metal zipper #4 or #5, auto lock slider

I thought you mean will it scratch your car lol,.... it will

I'm curious.
I'll just inform me at a leather tailoring shop

Auto lock is that the zipper can not move up by itself?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Yes, when the puller not manually pulled, there is a pin with spring that automatically lock the teeth, you dont need to manually lock the slider by folding it down like on pants. Puller might look dangling but it wont slide unintentionally.

Entropic Thunder

New in Town
I don't think so...
For it to stretch the lining would have to stretch, the stitching would have to stretch, the leather would have to stretch, all at the same rate, i don't think that's possible.

Some people say they have done it, i would like to see before and after measurements, because in my experience it doesn't.

I am not saying leather as a material doesn't stretch, it does, if you take a square of leather, get it wet and stretch it on a piece of wood or something you will definitely get some stretch, similar to the deformation that happens on the elbows of leather jackets etc.
What i disagree with is the idea that the shoulders of a jacket or the biceps, or the bottom hem can be stretched.
IMO by the time you exert enough pressure to stretch leather in these areas you will be tearing seems and lining.

This isn’t correct in my experience. I have stretched 4 jackets successfully, especially through the sleeves and shoulders, 3 of them horsehide. To wet stretch leather all you have to do is get it completely soaking wet, put it on and flex and stretch it across the areas you want increased as hard as possible. Yes there is a chance you could bust a seam but if it’s a well made item you should be okay, and I’ve never had a problem. This whole process really only takes about 4 or 5 minutes of stretching. Then just let it air dry on a hanger. The sleeves and shoulders are the easiest to stretch like this for obvious reasons because you can really get leverage on those areas. The hips and chest are much harder if not impossible because you can’t really flex those areas enough to stretch them, and you’ve really gotta go at it for it to stretch.

I always take measurements before and after to see how well I’ve done. I’ve gotten an inch and half added to the shoulder measurement, but you can usually expect about an inch, which really can make an unbearably restrictive jacket very wearable. Sleeves you can really improve since the shoulders can net you extra sleeve length as well. You don’t really need the lining to stretch as there is typically more than enough slack to accommodate the minor added length, since the lining has some slack built in to accommodate movement.

For the record I’ve also shrunk several jackets in the washing machine the reverse of this process. Throw it in the washer on hot, then dry on hot, removing periodically and trying on until you reach the desired size. Wear it a bit while damp to mold to your shape and then allow to dry, periodically trying on to assure that it stays the same size and shape. Can usually reduce a jacket by at least one size in this way, though it varies. Also the lining typically won’t shrink in proportion to the leather, and so you may end up with an oversized lining flopping out a bit if you really shrink the jacket by a lot.

I’m sure not all leathers will shrink, and not all will stretch, as some have already been preshrunken during the tanning process, or stretched as far as the natural grain structure will allow just through natural wear. It all depends on the leather, but I’ve found that it’s worth a shots and has worked in all but 3 scenarios I’ve tried, namely a vintage Harley sportster which wouldn’t shrink, a new Vanson which wouldn’t shrink, and a vintage Taubers horsehide whose sleeves seemed to stretch but eventually went back to the same length once it dried.

Peacoat

Bartender
My first Aero jacket was a Highwayman in cowhide. It was a perfect fit, except I found it a little tight in the chest for my liking, especially when a vest was worn underneath. What I did was to put on a heavy shirt with a vest and the jacket over that. I stood in a doorway, put both hands on either side of the door frame and leaned forward with my chest thrust forward. I did this several times a week. By the time cool weather rolled around, and I wore the jacket on the first ride, it was a comfortable fit. Whether it stretched or simply relaxed, I don't know. I do know that what I did caused it to be a better fit for me.

Gabri

New in Town
My first Aero jacket was a Highwayman in cowhide. It was a perfect fit, except I found it a little tight in the chest for my liking, especially when a vest was worn underneath. What I did was to put on a heavy shirt with a vest and the jacket over that. I stood in a doorway, put both hands on either side of the door frame and leaned forward with my chest thrust forward. I did this several times a week. By the time cool weather rolled around, and I wore the jacket on the first ride, it was a comfortable fit. Whether it stretched or simply relaxed, I don't know. I do know that what I did caused it to be a better fit for me.

OMG, You bent your ribs o_O:D:D

P.S. I had my first jogging session today
I am still red like a paprikao_O:eek::D

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
OMG, You bent your ribs o_O:D:D

P.S. I had my first jogging session today
I am still red like a paprikao_O:eek::D
80 or 90% of losing weight is diet. Cut out sugar, bread and cut alcohol and you will lose weight. A jog will only burn about 400 kcal, which is one desert. Good for heart, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk