Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching straw

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Hi folks,
I did a search here to see if I could find if this had already been answered, but couldn't really come up with much. Please direct me to the right thread if there has already been talking of this.

I found a really cool straw fedora on ebay that I've got my eye on. The trouble is that it may or may not be a tiny bit too small for me. I was wondering if there are any safe procedures for stretching a straw hat out to maybe an extra half inch in circumference or so. Has anyone else had positive results with this, or is it a big no-no?

Thanks!

MAB1

Suspended
1/2 an inch sounds like a real stretch. Pun intended.

You can soak em and do it but, don't push it too much. It may tear.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the bits of advice MAB and RBH. I think I've pretty much decided not to risk it, so I probably won't bid on this one hat. Maybe it would be alright, but I'm not sure its worth the risk. The hat is listed, and has a clear picture of the tag showing it is a 7, which can fit me. Yet when I asked for the circumference from the seller, they said it was roughly 21 1/4", which seems a little small for a size 7. Ah well, plenty more fish in the sea, right??!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112