Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Striped Dress Shirts - What Kind of Ties?

Warbaby

One Too Many
I really like striped dress shirts and have a dozen or so, from the subtle...

StripedShirt2.JPG

...to the rather flamboyant:

StripedShirt1.JPG

(This one has one of those high, two button collars than doesn't drape well if left unbuttoned)

Alas, I have a problem trying to figure out what sort of ties look right with them. I have a lot of ties to choose from, but I always end up with a solid color or very subtle pattern because anything else seems too busy. Is that the only reasonable choice or am I overlooking other possibilities?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

You're correct in my opinion, solid color ties are the best with patterned shirts. You can either have a patterned shirt and a solid tie, the opposite, or go all out and have a striped shirt and polka-dot tie etc.

Personally I feel that you're better off to buy solid shirts and patterned ties. Taco sauce goes best with Paisley, as does Alfredo sauce, Mustard, and a bevy of other condiments that have decorated my ties over the years. Oddly enough, the tie is getting to be the more expensive part. In my opinion, that makes no sense, it's main use being to catch spilled food.

later

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
In the store, find a patterned shirt you like and then start holding ties up to it. Tell the clerk to buzz off - unless you're in a real haberdashery that has staff that knows what they're doing. Try to educate your eye for pulling colors. A bit of green in the tie compliments a shade in the shirt. It's a fine art, and you can't have the Male Color Blindness at all.
Also look at Brit men's clothing catalogs and websites. Those guys are masters of putting patterns together and making it work.

I'm pretty sure Tomasso will have good thoughts on this.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
With more subtle pinstriped shirts you can wear almost any tie, especially if the background is white. My favourite choices are paisley, polka dot or foulard ties. I have never particularly liked the look of solid ties with striped shirt - I imagine the shirt to be like the frame of a picture and the tie to be the foreground, so it would follow that the tie must look more interesting than the shirt.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi again

If you look at the tie / shirt combination and it seems to vibrate / move, then you don't want to buy it. Items that REALLY don't go together at all, will do that, it must be some kind of eye trick, no kidding. Wool is a good tie material for stripes etc because wool ties are matte and don't draw the eye like shiny polyester or silk ties do. The idea of going to a real Men's store is a great idea. Penney's doesn't cut it anymore.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183