Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stroller - Morning Dress only?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That is a bargain. Where did you find that? I've been looking for one for ages.

I can understand your having trouble finding one since you are rather tall for vintage clothing. Still, the fun of the chase is the important thing.

I found it in an antique centre (I use that description in the widest terms) in Rushden, Northants. They sell a lot of vintage clothing and militaria - and a real mixed bag of other stuff. The shop owner is a good bloke and had priced the jacket nice and low because of the moth holes (which are not significant). He also dropped the price because we had given him some stuff to sell that we wanted to get rid of (after clearing my parent's house) but could not be bothered to try selling. I will post some pics of the jacket in the next day or so. Unfortunately it is too small for me (and you, I'm afraid). My son is badgering me to keep it for him when he grows a bit, but I guess it will end up for sale.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I can understand your having trouble finding one since you are rather tall for vintage clothing. Still, the fun of the chase is the important thing.

Indeed it is. I will keep looking. I find large vintage pieces occasionally but mostly have to make do with reproductions.

My son is badgering me to keep it for him when he grows a bit.

That's a good sign!

filfoster

One Too Many
Indeed it is. I will keep looking. I find large vintage pieces occasionally but mostly have to make do with reproductions.

That's a good sign!

Honoring the pursuit and preservation of original vintage pieces, there is a consolation of reproductions: They are in new condition, fit properly and can be exactly what you want, even if the element of 'bargain' is seldom attained. It is easier to risk a reproduction to the weather and wine stains than an original that cannot truly be 'replaced' at any price.

Edward

Bartender
I'm all for reproduction, myself.... to be honest, much as I enjoy the truly vintage pieces I have, if I had the option of readily available reproduction items to an identical pattern and quality, I wouldn't feel so much motivated to go looking for vintage.

Edward

Bartender
... and a not-high price, yes?

Well, alas price does come into it for me, that's the bit about it being an "option" - with the right tailor, everything is correct. I'm still drooling over your shirts, they're just outside what I can afford for a shirt at the minute. Maybe one day.... could be ideal for a big event like a wedding.

Or a high enough income for the price not to matter.

Ha, yeah, now we're talking.... I've long said that given a few million my second stop would be to clear the mortgage, my first the premises of a very gifted tailor of my acquaintance. ;)

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Whereas for me, the fact that it is vintage, and has a provenance - even if I can never know it - leads me to value the items all the more (that, and the fact that I know that buying vintage allows me to stretch my budget to acquire items that I could never normally afford/justify buying otherwise.)

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Being more than a touch clumsy I am very hesitant to buy antique or vintage in either furniture or clothing. I absolutely know that I will fall over and break it, spill something permanent on it or in some other way damage a fine thing that has managed to survive the slings and arrows of time and outrageous fortune only to end up in my paws where it it doomed, I tell you, doomed!

Yeah, reproductions when I want that look.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Back to 'strollers' (or 'black lounge' as a believe is the correct term here in the UK): this is the £12 jacket I picked up.

stroller1.jpg

It is by 'White Rose' which makes me guess it is a brand from Yorkshire:

stroller2.jpg

stroller3.jpg

It was advertised as 1930s, but from the label I guess it could be earlier. Anyone know this company? Any ideas?

PS: On the question of vintage vs reproduction, I am open: If I can find vintage that is great, if not then I am happy with repro, I am not going to be worried. The main point is this: if it is the style you are looking for, fits you and you are happy with it, what else counts?

Edward

Bartender
Whereas for me, the fact that it is vintage, and has a provenance - even if I can never know it - leads me to value the items all the more (that, and the fact that I know that buying vintage allows me to stretch my budget to acquire items that I could never normally afford/justify buying otherwise.)

I know what you mean, and yes, price-wise it is often possible to get a great bargain on a suit for which you would have to pay significantly more new. The one drawback about wearing vintage is the guilt I feel about the idea of wearing it out.... but then I suppose excepting something especially rare and significant, better that than it sit in a box and rot...

Back to 'strollers' (or 'black lounge' as a believe is the correct term here in the UK): this is the £12 jacket I picked up.

stroller1.jpg

Really nice. What size is it?

butler 1

New in Town
This is how I do it these days:

Steven Hitchcock Stroller/City Dress/Stresemann/Black jacket-Cashmere trousers
T & A bespoke shirt with self designed collar from Budd
Boots J. Lobb of St James's

dsc0081wj.jpg

By lifestylemanager at 2011-10-21

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
These pics inspire me to try a "stroller-esque" ensemble with my rather limited wardrobe. Perhaps I shall post pictures if it comes to fruition.

Very dapper, all. Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy