Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styles Other Than Vintage You Like

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I like late seventies early 80s punk look. I used to have an 18" mohawk when I was younger. I also like the steampunk look. Most of the time I wear dickies pants and a tight band t-shirt. Usually with a vintage style button up shirt over it and a pair of black Chuck Taylors. With a flat cap or a vintage 50s stingy on top.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In a word;

view.jpg

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I like late seventies early 80s punk look. I used to have an 18" mohawk when I was younger. I also like the steampunk look. Most of the time I wear dickies pants and a tight band t-shirt. Usually with a vintage style button up shirt over it and a pair of black Chuck Taylors. With a flat cap or a vintage 50s stingy on top.

I had the mohawk in my senior year, married my punk rock/goth girlfriend and now....with three teenagers and a couple of dogs and cats.....we're the most conservative, Leave It To Beaver family we know!!! We don't drink, don't smoke, wife raises the kids at home, dinner on the table at six and firm believers in Consumerism/capitalism. It's weird how having kids changes you, kinda nice too!!!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds rather scary to me:eeek:

;) Just kidding. Just try to fidn a balance between these values in my life and real "Consumerism/capitalism" is still something I see critical. Don't get me wrong. I love to buy clothes and stuff. But if it where for the "capitalism" I would throw em away and buy new ones every season.:confused:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I know how a lot here feel about the latter half of the 1960s and 1970s, but I actually like the general "look" characterized in late 1960s, or early 1970s French New Wave/noir films. Le Samourai (1967), The Sicilian Clan (1969), and Le Cercle Rouge (1970) come to mind.

Examples:

Le Samourai
LeSamourai.jpg

lesamouraimuxbydrumaaudf.jpg

The Sicilian Clan
102677093.jpg

Clans_des_Siciliens_1.jpg

Le Cercle Rouge
936full-le-cercle-rouge-screenshot.jpg

2620556998_7a76defc38.jpg

One thing they've all got in common, is that many of the main characters (even extras in the background) are wearing trench coats or overcoats, and sometimes even fedora hats (mainly older or more conservative characters), and this is the late 1960s and very early 1970s I'm talking about in France. Were they as common during this period as these films would lead me to think? When exactly did the popularity of the trench coat decline in Europe, or France in particular? Are these film depictions accurate with regard to say, Paris, France, during this era? In the films, it seems the fedoras were associated with police detectives and inspectors, or criminal types, though.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
You have to keep in mind that Melville was a fan of classic American film noir and dressed his characters accordingly.

Yes, actually that's true, thanks. He was definitely inspired by the somewhat American noir films of the 1940s, maybe 1950s. After all, what two clothing accessories are most associated with the genre? The trench coat and fedora of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy