Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sub $300 USA Made A-2's

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
That said, if you rolled up in VW Beetle I'm less likely to want to take a closer look than if you pulled up in, say, an Aston Martin or similar. Same goes for A-2s. It's not that I don't appreciate or think they don't have a place here, it's just, well, less eye-catching. [huh]

Funny thing...I had a Corvette convertible, with removable hardtop, very, very nice car. Drove it around, rarely would anyone except die hard Vette heads give it a second glance. I also own a 1969 mint VW sedan. I can't go anywhere in it without people stopping to ask questions and make comments on the car.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Funny thing...I had a Corvette convertible, with removable hardtop, very, very nice car. Drove it around, rarely would anyone expect die hard Vette heads give it a second glance. I also own a 1969 mint VW sedan. I can't go anywhere in it without people stopping to ask questions and make comments on the car.

I would argue that a brand new and affordable A-2 is closer to a 12-plate VW Polo. A 1969 mint sedan nowadays is, by dint of it's age and condition, interesting. A bit like an original A-2...

IXL

One Too Many
And I will end with this: price is not a criteria I use to determine the quality, either. Rather price is used to help establish whether a particular level of quality is a very good deal, an okay deal, no deal at all, or something akin to robbery. In keeping with this philosophy, an item could very easily be "good quality for the price."

If one examines a socket set, concludes it is pretty cheap quality, but the price is only two dollars, one does not get angry if a socket strips after turning but a few bolts for the wife, as one realizes the socket was actually pretty "good quality for the price."

"I don't want to get too wrapped around the axle on this." I've never heard this before: I like it. I sure hope there is no royalty owed you each time I use it!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm a fan of mass produced items and have written here often of my keenness for Schott etc, but I think it is useful to put some criteria around this cheap A 2 stuff. Would we really accept Wilson leather as an affiliate sponsor, for instance?

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I would argue that a brand new and affordable A-2 is closer to a 12-plate VW Polo. A 1969 mint sedan nowadays is, by dint of it's age and condition, interesting. A bit like an original A-2...

Never thought of it in this light...a good analogy, by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points