Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggest a leather jacket please

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I love my Aero Highwayman. I really do. My only reservation has to do with the fact that I live in a part of the world that is typically sunny and not all that cold.

The Highwayman is a HEAVY jacket. I was kicking around the local college campus yesterday on a clear, sunny, 48¬? - 50¬? F day. I had on the Highwayman, a light T-shirt and a light flannel shirt. After an hour or so I was breaking a sweat. I am not riding any kind of bike and don't need the body armor. For all it's charms, the Highwayman is just overkill for the climate down here most days.

Can anybody suggest a jacket that is (more or less) similar to the highwayman that I could wear on days when it isn't really freezing down here?

Thanks. I appreciate the input.

Mark

Edward

Bartender
A forumite.... memory fails me as to who.... a few weeks ago in discussion about Wested's Indy jacket offerings mentioned that he liked his in the standard lambskin as though it may be less durable than the horse or steer opotions, being lighter it as much more appropriate for warmer weather. Might be an option to consider a similar jacket in lamb?

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Edward said:
A forumite.... memory fails me as to who.... a few weeks ago in discussion about Wested's Indy jacket offerings mentioned that he liked his in the standard lambskin as though it may be less durable than the horse or steer opotions, being lighter it as much more appropriate for warmer weather. Might be an option to consider a similar jacket in lamb?

Lambskin. Sounds like a good idea.

Got it.

Thanks Edward.

Mark

Ugarte

A-List Customer
fedoralover said:
I would seriously consider one of John Chapmans Goodwear A-2s.

[snip]

Yeah. I've been circling the A-2 for a while now. Trouble is I can't bring myself to pay the money a good A-2 commands and OFAS isn't yielding any bargains.

Of course, if you know of a good deal on such an A-2 in my size (46-48) by all means, point me in that direction. :D

I wore a knockoff G-1 from Sears in high school which was 90 miles south of here. It was a good alternative to the letter jacket for daily wear, but the weight-to-R-factor balance eventually led me to ski jackets, though I really like the military style of such outerwear.

Mark

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm probably the one Edward was thinking of. I find my Wested Raiders jacket to be perfect as my "summer" leather jacket when the temps get up into the 55-75 range. It breathes wonderfully - thin lambskin, soft cotton lining, no wool knits at the wrists or waist to prevent ventilation - it's decidedly more comfortable than my A-2s when it's a bit warmer and sunny. And you can't beat Wested's made-to-your-custom-size fit for the price...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran