Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for hat stores in Detroit

Hello fellow FL'ers. I'm fairly new to the forum and to wearying fedoras. I only have a small collection of 7-8 vintage hats I have purchased off ebay in the last few months. I have learned much from the members of the FL. So thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and for sharing the many beautiful photos of your lids.

I'm heading to Detroit tomorrow for the weekend and wondered if there were any good hat stores to visit. I will be staying at the Marriott downtown near the river and will be attending events at Ford Field. Any suggestions would be apprectiated.

For that matter, any recommendations of good pubs or brewers would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

BG

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Funny you should mention it, but we were just discussing Henry the Hatter's and Detroit in the Boater Faction thread. Apparently that's the place to go.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
Hmm, well, I live in Dearborn and work right in downtown Detroit so I'm right in that area. There's a store called Henry the Hatter on... I think it's Broadway right near Gratiot. That's easy walking distance of Ford Field and your hotel (in fact, it's on the way). I haven't had a chance to check it out, but they look to have a good selection. Lots of other places sell hats, but the selection is limited to fashionable stingy-brim fedoras.

Lots of choices for food. Foran's Grand Trunk Pub on Woodward near between Campus Martius Park and Congress has a great selection of Michigan beers, and amazing food. The building is an old Grand Trunk Railroad ticket office, and it's amazing in itself. It's an easy walk from your hotel.

Detroit Brewing Company has some good brews too; they're on Broadway right across from the Opera House. Food is good, but not as good as Grand Trunk. They're really close to Ford Field, so they will probably be packed before and after the game.

Slightly pricier and farther away is Traffic Jam and Snug at Second and Canfield. That's in Midtown, almost to the Wayne State campus. The food is great, and they're Michigan's first brewpub. They brew their own beer, bake their own bread, and make their own cheeses. It's all great.

Union Station is a bit more upscale yet. They have a good selection of imported beers, and good food. You're getting out of the pub atmosphere at that point, though. Woodward, between Downtown and the Wayne State campus.

Other good bets: Cass Cafe, on Cass across from Ferry; Woodbridge Pub, on Trumbull a couple blocks north of Warren. Both are in Midtown, farther from the game-related hustle-and-bustle. Both have a good selection of local beers and good food.

I know there are a few places closer to the riverfront that I haven't tried. Sweet Lorraines is right across Jefferson from the Ren Cen, and I've heard good things. Anchor Bar is where the local journalists hang out. I think it's over near Fort and Cass. There's an oyster bar somewhere in the financial district I think that's supposed to be pretty good.

If you're in the mood for bbq, Slows is amazing and they have a great selection of beer. Try it at off hours, though, because it's almost always packed. It's on Michigan Ave., kitty-corner from the ruins of Michigan Central Station.

If you want a real Detroit coney, the only place to go is Lafayette Coney Island. It's on the triangular block where Michigan and Lafayette come together, right behind American Coney Island.

Try to make it out to Eastern Market on Saturday morning. It's a big farmers' market that runs from like 5am until 4pm. Great people-watching. Have lunch at Russel Street Deli or at Supinos Pizzaria. Both are amazing. Check out R Hirt & Co; it's a fun shop.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
Oh, and Jacoby's is supposed to be good. I've never been there, but they've survived for 100+ years. It's a German biergarten on Brush, just north of Congress, a few blocks north of your hotel.

And a fun hangout is Cliff Bells, just north of Adams on Park. Restored Art Deco bar. It's really beautiful, and they have live music.

Adamjaskie,

Thanks for all your suggestions. You presented lots of great options. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge. I've never been to Detroit other than driving through on the way to Canada. My son and I are looking forward to a "boys" weekend and taking in the NCAA Frozen Four Championship. I hope to check out Henry the Hatter while we're there too.

Merci' to Mr. E Train too.

BG

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I haven't got any hat stores or pubs to offer, but I'll encourage you to check out the Henry Ford Museum or the Rouge plant while you're in the area: both Golden Era marvels.

-Dave

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
I haven't got any hat stores or pubs to offer, but I'll encourage you to check out the Henry Ford Museum or the Rouge plant while you're in the area: both Golden Era marvels.

-Dave

:arated:

Al Niente

Familiar Face
Henry's is THE place to go. And, as noted, close to where you will be staying. Good time to go as the winter felts are still on display as are the straws. I was just there yesterday (I work at the Opera House, playing Don Giovonni by Mozart this weekend, sat night) and purchased the boater I had my eye on. Still a little cold for the boater, but I didn't want them to run out of my size this year. It's a great place!

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
Bluegrass, how was your visit?

Detroit seems to get a bum rap. Sure, it's run-down, there's crime, etc., but there are a lot of great things about this city, and I'm looking forward to seeing her transformation over the next few years.

Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner