Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Measurements

Amy85

New in Town
Has anyone ever measured themselves or someone else for a suit? I've requested tape measures from Knot Standard and tailor4less, but what if the suit doesn’t fit because I made a mistake?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Best to go to a local tailor and have them measure you. Offer to pay for the service but chances are it will be gratis as you represent future business for them.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
My experience having measurements taken by a third party a shirt ordered over the Internet was very bad. Subsequently, when I took my own measurements, the shirts fit perfectly.

Thick as Thieves, who offer MTM suits sold over the Internet, actually recommend you or do it yourself and DO NOT use another tailor because they've had so many problems with this in the past. Their website has a really useful tutorial video for taking measurements.

[video=youtube;Kk335TcIz2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk335TcIz2c[/video]

Last edited:

seattlestuff

New in Town
This is for an online M2M type thing?

I second Guttersnipe! I'm skeptical about ordering suits in this manner, but I would also suggest that if you're going to do so, you take the measurements yourself. I don't know what company you're looking at, but many of them offer some kind of a perfect-fit guarantee (meaning they'll alter it until it fits, though at that point you might begin to wonder why you didn't just alter something off the rack).

I've purchased some M2M shirts though, and like Guttersnipe said, they have actually been best when I've done the measurements myself rather than have a tailor do it. Different outfits seem to measure for things using different conventions. If you go to your local tailor they'll just measure it their way, but it might not be the way it needs to be for the company you're working with. Paying close attention to their specific instructions and then using your own judgment about the kind of fit you want is advisable. The exception might be if someone from the company you order from can do it. In my case I was acquainted with the owner of the company making my shirt, so he helped me with the measurements directly. Before going that route I had been around to four or five different local tailors and their measurements varied wildly (by a matter of a couple inches in some measurements!).

Fifty150

One Too Many
I've taken my own measurements, and ordered from tailor4less & thesftailor. I got what I wanted. A cheap suit, with a few extra touches, that fit me exactly to my measurements. Not bad if you're on a budget, don't expect a suit with the same qualities as something you would pay a lot more for, or if you have a body shape that does not work well with off the rack suits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy