Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits are out for professionals?

Journo

New in Town
would a suit...

...be appropriate these days if you're intentionally trying to blend in?

I'm a community journalist working in the DC suburbs (not downtown), and while khaki's, shirt and tie are always ok, I sometimes feel a little overdressed wearning even only a navy jacket. Wearning a suit at one point let you blend in, but these days, unless you're in some high-powered field in some high-powered city, it seems like the opposite is true.

I'd like to wear a suit to work, but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for all fields, including mine, unless we're talking about the Anderson Coopers of the world. Any advice?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
...be appropriate these days if you're intentionally trying to blend in?

I have a feeling that if you're looking to blend in, you're in the wrong place. :) But yes, I think you're somewhat right. The question is knowing when to blend in, and when to dare to be different. If you own your style, people will come to identify you with it, and you can set yourself apart in a good way. Other times, you really want to give the impression that you fit within a company or a social group. [huh]

And y'know, you guys *still* have it easier than us gals when your biggest decision is between a polo and khakis or a suit. :D

JournoI'm a community journalist working in the DC suburbs (I'd like to wear a suit to work said:

This is the experiment you need to run. Where does a suit. sports jacket, just a tie, khakis, and dress down approach work best.

You may find a strata along the lines of age coming up and also economic base of an area steering the value system of those you may wish to interview. Some people, particularly the oldsters and the elderly will respond well to a suit and tie. Most that are old enough to recall the time when a man wore a suit will see it in the light that you have taken the time to acknowledge their worth and you respect them hence the suit. Whereas, those of younger ages that do not understand paying respect to your clients by wearing a suit (what is done for others) tend to think first what do I do for myself's sake and judge others by that tennet, therefor wearing a suit is to make yourself look like a bigshot, something you're not, etc. So it can have a lot to do with the mindset of those you plan to deal with, service to others in the older generations versus more self serving youth.

These are broad brushes but in general it will suffice as to trying to read the crowd. There will be older people that are lacking in understanding on the suit thing and young people that get it or appreciated so these suggestions won't fit 100%.

The other thing is if you are interviewing someone you can't let a suit intimidate them. There is a reason why in the past a politician would always have a shot of himself with the jacket off tossed over the shoulder. That made him seem more like a regular, roll up your sleeves, get to work kinda guy and less intimidating to many. Taking off the jacket and loosening the tie can manipulate peoples responses too.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
My two bits:

Today’s suits fit like bags, and men don't feel comfortable in such gunny sacks! I don't blame men for not wantin' to wear dem tents!

The states are in a sad state... this generation just don't get the joke... first it was tossin' out hats associated with jobs... when was the last time you saw a gas station attendant wear a hat? Or, any one profession for that matter!

I tell ya, I don't care to blend... ever, see! I am fed up with this generation... they put on a clean pare of ripped jeans and think they're made up... oh, sure they're made up alright... like a rag doll! Ya oughta see them try and come into Cicada Club lookin’ like ragamuffins! And the look of shock their pans when I deny them passage! Makes me laugh!

It comes down to respect... and let me tell ya, it almost doesn’t exist today! That's why suits and other proper dress clothes have been tossed out like an old pair of shoes!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm with Edward Marlowe on this, and with most of you as well. I am also an academic. My university had an opening a year or so ago for a new epigrapher, that is a professor who specializes in Greek inscriptions from 2400 years ago and thereabouts. The winner was the only one in a suit.

-- Did he win BECAUSE of the suit?
-- Hell no: the rest of the candidates were just not very good compared to him, and his job talk was dynamite.
The suit was, rather, and EXPRESSION or manifestation of his underlying seriousness about his field, which was epigraphy. So was the excellence of his talk.

When I see academics (many of whom are nerds/dorks, a class of people I dislike) try to be cool by dressing in torn or overly worn clothing, it just makes them look kind of 80s (remember the torn knees on jeans craze in the mid-80s) and pathetic. When they dress too much like the students, it makes me feel that they shirk their role as authority figures and want to be friends with the students. The last thing these 18-22 year old students need is a professor who wants to be friends with them on their level. Most of them have had pretty easy lives. What they need is a professor who challenges them, who sets limits, who forces them to think hard and expects them to think critically. A suit says these things, not a golf shirt.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I have learned a lot about suits here. The problem with your initial question that I see is that you first need to address the issue that modern suits worn to work to hold a job are completely different than vintage suits and styles from the golden era. It is the latter that is focused on here at this site.

I try to wear things that make me feel comfortable. But my priority at work is to blend in visually and let my energy level, creativity and work ethic be what gets me noticed. I have several 'bags' of suits as mentioned by Forgotten Man as it is the slacks of those suits that everyone else wears at my job (and ever so occasionally wears the matching jacket.)

It took me years to fine tune what is acceptable work wear, and it's a continuing process. Everyone's situation is different so what one of us writes that works retail or someone else who has (fill in the blank) environment at their place of employment isn't going to apply to others.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Always dress for a job interview

Several years ago I had a really bad job. I generally work in the IT contracting field with federal government customers. As a rule, the appearance of my co-workers isn't very sharp. I decided that I would always dress as if I were going to a job interview. That way they can't tell. I have continued this habit.

The jobs I work generally pay well and I am not bashful about spending the money on suits, hats, shoes, ties, etc. I feel sharp when dressed this way, and if you feel comfortable being well-dressed and are careful not to do anything that will make others feel uncomfortable about dressing casually, you won't have problems. Feel comfortable, feel sharp, and dress up.

Put others at ease, don't try to intimidate, and don't feel awkward about looking like a serious person.

Wear suits.

ortega76

Practically Family
It can be difficult to navigate this minefield of business casual.

I work for a small business that does graphic design and printing. Our customers range from law firms to club promoters, and the owner wears a pretty standard uniform of jeans, sneakers and an untucked collared shirt. I'd say that this is the standard for the office. Since I do sales and customer service, I have to be flexible- not overdressed for our hipster clients and not underdressed for our conservative clients.

I tend to mix and match casual elements with dressier ones. In effect, I fall into one of the following default "looks"

1. Clean, dark denim with a collared shirt, tie and waistcoat/sport coat or sweater. I tend to wear loafers with this or converse all-stars.

2. Chinos, collared shirt, tie no jacket. Loafers, a nice casual lace-up or the like.

3. Chinos, collared shirt and sport coat with no tie. As above on the shoes.

I will wear suits on days when I meet important clients or make presentations, but in the office, it's generally as above. I'm definitely the only one that wears a tie on a regular basis.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I'm in the cemetery and funeral business, and I can't even get away with a blue shirt. We have a uniform of sorts, white point collar shirt, dark blue suit, black shoes and belt, no gaudy watches or jewelry, somber ties. No sunglasses, top coats and rain coats must be navy or black.

It is what it is, I'm in a trade where a certain level of formality is expected. Several of the funeral directors were aghast recently, when one of our coworkers had the audacity to wear shoes that not only were slip-ons, but HAD TASSELS. They just couldn't believe it.

I have found that people treat me with deference when I'm out and about after work, and still dressed...amazing how people are more prone to call me "sir" when I have a suit on.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
My dad always, I mean ALWAYS wears a suit to work! :eusa_clap
I work in retail where it is much less formal, there is no dress code, and a suit isn't appropriate because of the setting, a 40's and 50's repro clothing. I basically wear vintage styled outfits, with a hat. Always clean and ironed pants, jackets and shirts though. If I had to wear a suit I would though.

Matt Deckard said:
i was a suit in a polo shirt and khakis environment and as time went by more suits started being worn.

And it's not that suits are now going out for professionals, suits are all over the media and government and running around in offices all over the world. I just came back from Tokyo and I saw more suits than jeans. Suits may not be the standard, though they aren't really going anywhere right now.

As they would say at Macy's, outstanding!!!!!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
the SCARF UP look

Orsini said:
An excellent argument for classic style...

At local trendy mall saw upscale Mother, Father & Son ALL three :eek: wearing this terrorist scarf look :eusa_doh: These folks thought they were SOOoooo HIP lol Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot